Re: Mike Fine (TSN): Pitino Says No Immediate Deals

Way Of The Ray wrote:

>       Boston Celtics
>       Team Report posted JULY 31, 1999
>
>       By TSN correspondent
>       Mike Fine
>       Patriot Ledger
>       The Celtics hosted their first-ever Pro Summer League at UMass-Boston
>       during the week. They made the most of it, improving their summer-league
>       record to 12-0 through Friday. Management checked out opposing free agents
>       and spent time talking to league executives as the Aug. 1 signing date
>       neared.

Can it be?? Unless this is merely a temporary appointment, I want to applaud the
editor of The Sporting News for upgrading the Celtics beat reporter. It's the end of
the Peter May era, and I feel (Mike) Fine. At the very least, this will give us a
different perspective from what we find in the Boston Globe.

BTW, it looks like we finally defeated a Larry Bird coached basketball team. :-)
Kris Clack contributed a game high 26 points to carry the Celtics to the 103-94 win.
18-year-old Al Harrington had 22 points and 5 assists. I'd love to read a report
about the game if one of you saw it.

Although it may not signify very much, the Celtics have probably averaged well over
100 ppg this summer (seemingly well above the norm in the Shaw and Fila leagues).
Now we are talking Pitino ball!

This may say something about Kenny Anderson's capacity to quarterback a winning
basketball team. Personally, I think he just had great difficulty adjusting to the
fact he can no longer have a minimum 17 ppg role in the NBA, much less do his NY
playground legend over-dribbling routine. It must be hard for Kenny, since he
arguably is no less naturally gifted than Rod Strickland (another stat machine who
so far can't help a team win). The more the point guard dribbles, the less we score.

-----