my turn

I think we all know what it takes to assemble a championship caliber
team. When you watch old games on video it's easy to see how the pieces
of the Bird era team all fit together.  A defensive rebouding center
with some offense, an athletic (somewhat) big forward who could rebound,
play D and score, a deadeye shooting small forward( I know Larry was a
lot more than that!), a scrappy point who could dig in and play D while
hitting the clutch open J, and a reliable outside shooter who could open
up the inside for the big guys.  The bench: guys who accept their roles:
an enforcer type, a bench scorer preferrably a swingman, and at least
one more rebounder.  If you have those 8 then you can contend for it
all, and in this day of a watered down league, you can probably order
the rings and banner.  And there really is no one perscription for
putting it all together, it can be done in any number of ways. But the
Bird dynasty had that one intangible that all great teams have in every
sport; the desire to win no matter what.  This is the one thing that's
missing in today's NBA at large, and apparently on the Boston Celtics
specifically.  Where are the guys on this team who refuse to lose?
Maybe Paul Pierce.  Does anyone else come to mind?  Antoine talks the
talk, but he wiggles instead of walks, at this point.  I still have hope
for him.  Too bad he wouldn't ask Russ to teach him a thing or two.
Hasn't Pitino been harping lately on the talk Russell gave the team at
the end of last season?  Hasn't Russell expressed an interest in getting
back into coaching?  Now don't get me wrong--Russell was an absymal
failure as a coach and gm type after his playing days.  But, hey people
change and Russell does say he wants to have a legacy beyond his playing
career.  So can't there be a role somewhere for his input?  I know, he's
old, he's got a big ego as does RP and the two would probably clash but
it's a thought.  I believe that shit runs downhill.  If Pitino wants the
players to adopt a team ego, ala Russell, then I think he needs to look
first to himself.  He is the one calling all the shots.

Adrian Griffith?  The jury is out.  All I know of him comes from this
list.  But it sounds as if he may be a step in the right direction.  The
"most fundamendaly sound" (RP) player on the team.  Can he be a guy who
puts the team first?

More than anything else this team needs some leadership and character.
A guy who comes in and says "we're about winning, period." And then
backs it up.  I don't blame a guy for trying to make every buck he can.
But when you put on the sneakers all that goes by the wayside.  Call me
old school, call me old fart, call me a dreamer, but I thought
basketball was about winning the championship.  There's loads of teams
with talented players (Fakers) but they usually end up taking an early
summer.  The team that wins is the team that plays as a team--a
collection of individuals who work for common goals and the common good.
(Why do you think the Lakers  brought in Jackson.  If Shaq was the man
he thinks he is he'd get Kobe in line or else tell West it's me or
him.Then  Rambis would still be the coach and we could whip them in the
finals.) They don't have to be best friends off the court, but they
should be willing to "go to war" with them on it.

Ron Mercer:  He's not going to the HOF, but could be a dependable 2nd
more likely 3rd scoring option.  The question is:  Does he want to play
in Boston,  for Pitino?  If not, Adios.  The same for anyone else.  RP
may have already determined that Mercer is gone-which seems to be the
case and now he's trying to get the most value for him.  So, RP, this is
what you're getting the $$ for.  Don't let us down.What I want to see
this next season, regardless of who's in the uniforms, is a TEAM that
plays hard and wants to win regardless.  Anyone who can't hack it, take
a hike we don't need you. So if you bring in Samaki Walker, Clint
Walker, Nancy Walker--whomever--you better be a teamplayer.

Steve Smith, Penny Hardaway, Gary Payton, Dennis Rodman...who gives a
rip about them--I wouldn't want any of them on my team.  Same for Vin
Baker.  Tim Duncan, John Stockton, Mark Jackson...those are the kind of
guys you want.  Hell, I'd even take Kevin Garnett  : )  (Of course I
don't know any of these guys, so I only know about them from the media.)

This brings me to my last point--Rick Pitino.  Bottom line it's his team
and he takes full responsibilty for all success and failures.  If his
"system" doesn't work then he needs to make changes pronto or he's
history and I'll contribute the first $1 to buy him out.  As of this
writing I'm behind him 100%.  But I want results and that starts with
the roster.  There's no Larry Bird coming in next year's draft, but he
can certainly assemble a team that plays Celtic basketball.  Celtic
basketball is not any particular type of basketball, after all we once
had the best fastbreak in  the game and later on the best halfcourt
offense, but Celtic BB is hardnosed, denfense minded and produces
championships. I believe there's still players out there who subscribe
to this theory and are good enough to come together and win.  It's
Pitino's job to find 'em, sign'em, and coach 'em.

Well if you've read this far you're probably thinking either this guy
had too much coffee this morning or he's gone stark raving nuts.
Actually, neither is true.  But being a faithful reader of the digest
version of the list I've finally decided to put in my 2 cents.

That's my opinion.  I welcome yours.

Thanks for reading.

Bob
O, and one last thing, I don't want to hear about what Pitino's done in
the past.  It's irrelevant. I want to see what he's gong to do now.

Editor's postscript: I tried to cut down on the cliches but don't think
I was too successful.