Re: Vitaly's Summer Vacation -Reply -Reply -Reply

Dan:

Points taken.

Ryan wrote:

>I think that given Cleveland's likely inability to sign Potapenko after this
>season, DeClerq plus a top ten pick was worth considerably more to
the
>Cavs than Potapenko is worth to the Celtics.

DeClerq and a 7-8 pick which could be a bust is not as good as
Potapenko. A
bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.

>Again, my point was not to judge the trade as a function of Vitaly's skills
>versus Andrew's hustle; the point is that when our Celtics give up what
>will likely be the #8 pick in the draft, and the Cav's snatch up William
>Avery or Baron Davis while we continue to bemoan Kenny Anderson's
>inability to make teammates better (borrowed from a recent list
>thread)--then yeah, the price tag for Potapenko might be awfully steep.

KA has trade value on his own, for either a pick or trade.

>And I don't want to hear any more
"this-is-the-weakest-draft-in-memory"
>crap anymore, because it won't be weak through the first ten picks.
And
>if the leprechaun smiles on us, and we end up with one of the three
>lottery picks, then I'll be the first one to say that the Celtics front
office
>really pulled one off.  Until then...

Really, don't believe in weak draft thoughts. Many draftees develop for
worse or better eventually.

>Finally, as for the land, I'd have a difficult time purchasing real estate
>from a man who made the asinine proclamation that Larry Bird was
>"dogmeat compared to Pitino."

Yeah, that may have been a little hasty, considering Pitino's coaching this
season, and of course I was only comparing Pitino to Bird's coaching
ability. Bird hasn't set the world on fire either, with a fine team.