Re: Vitaly's Summer Vacation -Reply -Reply

> Tell us DeClercq is equal to Potapenko and I have some land for you to
> buy. <<<
>
> I think that given Cleveland's likely inability to sign Potapenko after this
> season, DeClerq plus a top ten pick was worth considerably more to the
> Cavs than Potapenko is worth to the Celtics.

The point is that the trade is good for both teams. You seem to be saying
that the Cleveland gained more than Boston given the circumstances. Even
if this is true, we are still better off than not making the trade. It was
really a trade between two desperate parties and both benefited.

> Again, my point was not to judge the trade as a function of Vitaly's skills
> versus Andrew's hustle; the point is that when our Celtics give up what
> will likely be the #8 pick in the draft, and the Cav's snatch up William
> Avery or Baron Davis while we continue to bemoan Kenny Anderson's
> inability to make teammates better (borrowed from a recent list
> thread)--then yeah, the price tag for Potapenko might be awfully steep.

OK, if in three years, Anderson is playing poorly and Potapenko is a bust,
and the Cav's pick is a strong player, then the price will be steep. Until
then, we don't know. If the top point guards in this draft turn out to
be busts (like '97) and Potapenko fills our center spot adequately, then
it looks good for us.

Alex