Re: Up Tempo

Dear Frustrated,

If I had to guess, I'd say that Kenny isn't, and probably has never been, in very good shape.  What happens when you start to get tired is that you start looking for places to rest.  If the ball's in your hands and you decide to take a little nap, well, the ball gets walked up the court while you catch your breath.  Remember, if he passes up court, he still needs to follow behind quickly, because the pass will often not produce a layup.

Solution?  Get Kenny in shape, obvioulsy.  Lifting weights was a nice thought, Kenny, but I'm afraid you're going to have to start doing some running.  I'd say tie a rope between him and Dana Barros the day the season ends and let Kenny try to keep up.  Also, when he gets tired and starts doing these things, pull him out of the game.  Of course, this means you've got to have a back-up you don't mind playing with the rest of the starters.  I think the two squad approach of the first half of the season was a mistake and led to Kenny trying to pace himself because he needed to play a lot of minutes.

Potential problems?  Well, Kenny seems to think he's in the best shape of his life.  I don't think he really intends to put in the kind of conditioning work that is required.  If that's true, there's no doubt that, at some point, Pitino will try to trade him.  I don't think he will go so far to use one of his assets to get it done, though, unless Mercer is really unreasonable about his contract demands (which I also don't expect). So, I think we'll probably be seeing less of Kenny next year.  If he's only conditioned to play 28 minutes, then that's what he should play.  There's no point having him out there if he's pacing himself.  Antoine can get away with that for stretches, but if Kenny does it slows the whole team down.

Jim