Re: Pitino Leaving Rumors

This just in:

The C's just announced the firing of Rick Pitino hours before tonight's game
against Detroit.  GM Christopher Wallace in a terse announcement said "it is
with deep regret that we find it necessary to take these measures but we
need to make a statement to the players that they are important to the
Celtics".

"Antoine Walker has agreed to coach the team for the duration of the regular
season, and, if by chance we are fortunate enough to make it into the
playoffs, the legendary, Arnold "Red" Auerbach has agreed to guide this
young team" said Wallace in a prepared statement.  "We recognize that Red
has not coached since Hector was a pup, but all one needs to do is check his
winnng percentage to see that he has all the necessary components to do a
fantastic job".

Player reaction was mixed.  "I hear Red Auerbach knows his basketball and I
look forward to the chance to learn how to give consistent performances
under his guidance" said hotshot rookie Paul Pierce.  Ron Mercer was quoted
as saying "Coach Pitino has meant alot to me as a coach and a friend, and I
owe him my career.  But I look forward to working with Coach Walker, if he
decides to stick around and not go back to Chicago".

When advised that Pitino's contract had been terminated, veteran guard Kenny
Anderson said "I felt it was just a matter of time before the owner took
some steps in this direction".  When informed that Walker was finishing the
season as the coach, Anderson shrieked "What the #*@$ is going on around
this #*@$ing place anyway?!?

Auerbach was quoted as saying "I feel there is a lotta young talent on this
team.  Potapenko can rebound like one of my old players named Russell. Bowen
is a poor mans version of Satch Sanders.  All Barros needs to do is learn
how to use the backboard ala Sam Jones and Pierce, Walker and Mercer are all
fine role players".

Cecil