Marc Cofman On Damon Jones

      Boston Herlad

      Celtics keep up with the Jones
      by Mark Cofman
      Monday, April 26, 1999
      The Celtics announced before yesterday's game against the Washington
      Wizards at the FleetCenter they had re-signed Damon Jones to a second
      10-day contract. That came as great news to the 6-foot-3 point guard, who
      promptly celebrated his good fortune with 15 points and six assists in the
      Celtics' 113-84 victory.
      Jones' point and assists were NBA career highs, not overly significant
      when considering his NBA resume consists of just 19 games. What was
      significant was the former University of Houston star's overall standout
      play, the latest in a string of strong performances to help a team badly
      in need of a late-season pick-me-up.
      ``My opportunity came as a result of other people's unlucky breaks,'' said
      Jones, referring, of course, to the Celtics' long list of injuries, most
      notably the pulled right hamstring suffered by fellow point guard Kenny
      Anderson.
      ``I wouldn't be here if the Celtics hadn't had this run of injury problems
      the last few weeks, but the only thing you can do in that situation is
      make the most of it,'' Jones added.
      Jones has done just that, impressing Celtics coach Rick Pitino during his
      eight-game tenure in Boston.
      Pitino had signed the former CBA star on the recommendation of ex-Nets
      coach John Calipari, who had brought Jones to injury-plagued New Jersey
      for 11 games earlier this season.
      Pitino, juggling his lineup to offset the injuries, has not been
      disappointed.
      ``I really like this young man,'' said Pitino. ``He's playing like he's
      hungry and he's doing a lot of things on the court that I like.
      ``He's dribbling with his head up, he's always looking to pass the ball,
      he runs the offense and then he's a very good shooter to boot. He's got
      good size, and he's really hungry to make it (at the NBA level). So if he
      doesn't make it with us, he will make it somewhere. I think this is a
      great experience for him.''
      Jones would tell you as much. He talks about the generous manner in which
      his teammates have embraced him, taking him out to dinner and showing him
      around town. He talks about liking the passion of fans in Boston.
      Mostly, though, he talks about making a lasting impression on an NBA team.
      Preferably, the local NBA team.
      ``I love playing Coach Pitino's style and I've enjoyed every minute of my
      experience here with the Celtics,'' said Jones, the CBA's Newcomer of the
      Year this season with the Idaho Stampede. ``(Pitino) tells you that if you
      keep hustling and play hungry, good things are bound to happen.
      ``That's the attitude I have to take. That's really the attitude this team
      has to take the rest of the way - like we're battling for the playoffs.
      ``After the season's over, I'll see what's out there for me. I don't know
      what the future will bring, but I'd love to be back,'' he said.