Dan is Warming to Walker

Dan, that's no fun anymore! You are one of the actually intelligent Walker critics
on the list.

FWIW, I see the same (correctable) flaws in his game as anyone else (who doesn't?).
And I don't love the idea of having a widely-reputed "villain" and "showoff" on the
team. Once our Celts start beating on these aging contenders and pretenders (the
Fakers) out there, I think a lot of non-partisan fans will be turned off by our
lovable Celtics if AW celebrates/rubs-it-in a tad too much. Hey, I get annoyed just
watching MJ celebrate a winning basket (and I have nothing against "Da Bulls").

But Boston fans are anal-retentively picky if they think Antoine Walker personifies
"all that is wrong with young players today", when  the opposite argument is far
better supported by the evidence. Toine may be "too arrogant" in games, but he
pretty much acts like a boy scout (and a good team captain) off the court. Look at
what other team's have to put up with young players (Iverson and Marbury), not even
mentioning veterans (Barkley, Dennis "Rodgirl" and Shaq).

One key to winning any future playoff series will be having the guy who can pretty
consistently "guarantee" you 20-10 in an important game, as well as show up in
crunch time. If you have that type of dependable, unintimidated stat monster
(especially rebounds) on your team, then all you'll normally need to win most any
playoff game is for two other starters to play an above average game. But more than
anything, you'll need the big kid who not only will release pressure off his
teammates by drawing double-teams, but also can pass out of it, as well as help
bring the ball up (another amazing AW skill). If we want to see the Celtics winning
championships over the next 12 to 15 years (as opposed to just collecting a group
of "very sweet and humble kids" like Ronnie Mercer), then I say we all better learn
to live with Antoine's wiggling and "poor table manners" (jumping on top of them)
and fully appreciate that the kid's with us and not somewhere else.

Joe