Re: Almost Classy

Neal R Hoffman wrote:

> As an AW supporter I was relieved to see him hit the game winner tonight.
> What really bother me was the way he celebrated.  He mauled over Paul
> Pierce so that he could jump on the table alone and take full credit.
>
> Congrats to AW, but this is still a team effort.

Knowing AW's style, it wouldn't surprise me that he jumped on the table and
went bananas, although so far I only saw the footage up to the moment after
he hit the banker (I don't mean a butt-munching, yuppie "banker" of course).

One thing I hope we all may agree on is that Toine's words after the game
clearly deflected glory onto his teammates. Another thing on which we may
agree:  Toine was entitled to his unconcealed joy under the circumstances.
The kid really had no right to even dream of responding to the Atlanta game
with such a series of remarkable clutch baskets the very next game against
the most hated and talented team in the division. Few players in the game
could have engineered that kind of redemption, so I say cut him slack for
enjoying himself. I can imagine many young stars acting far "worse" in this
situation (gloating etc.)

Toine clearly has a way of celebrating that agitates people. Middle-aged,
"majority race" sportswriters like Bob Ryan actually help to fan the flames,
all the while professing innocence. Hey don't worry Mr Ryan, Antoine Walker
doesn't plan to marry your daughter. ;-)

But if it bothers "traditional fans" so much, maybe Toine should cut it out.
I actually think he is slowly adopting to Boston (a small town after all). By
the same token, I think Boston fans are starting to recognize that Antoine
has a lot of decency and character compared to his peers (Marbury, Iverson
etc.) Or at least I think they should recognize this. We are fair people.

BTW, the Holley anecdote (pasted below) about Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker
really rings true to me. Having caught up on a lot of Celtics game videos, I
get a very strong impression that those two guys are becoming good friends.
I've seen a number of cases where Antoine really enthusiastically
congratulates Pierce on a nice shot or block etc., even in a game where his
own shot wasn't falling. Also, during the pre-game introductions and
timeouts, those two kids seem to show a nice rapport.

What a long, strange trip it's been. :-)   I'm sure "El Vaselino" (Pat Riley)
is bummed out that we swept them. The Miami Heat game pretty much concludes
chapter two in the "Legend of Antoine Walker."  It'll only get better from
here, I say.

Go Toine, Ron, Vitaly, and Paul!

--------
Michael Holley copyright Boston Globe:

"Coming out of a timeout and trailing (81-79) with 4.2 seconds remaining, the
Celtics wanted to make one thing clear: they were giving the ball to Walker.
That's what rookie forward Paul Pierce told the team's captain before the
final offensive play unfolded. He said a few things to him and then told
Walker, ''Bring us home.'' A few seconds later, they were home. And it
sounded like it, too.

''This is obviously a wonderful win for us,'' Celtics coach Rick Pitino said.
Before the game, he spoke passionately about Walker, why he should not be
targeted by fans and how much he wants to win. He said ''99.9 percent of
young people today'' would have wanted to leave town if they were in Walker's
position. He didn't.