Peter May On: Pitino-Union Problems; Ketner; The Chinese Potapenko; $10 M. Over The Cap

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                NOTES
                                Pitino is pushing it with workout plans

                                By Peter May, Globe Staff, 04/18/99

                                The Celtics have a new workout
                                facility and it's a beauty. It's
                                got every bell and whistle, and Rick
                                Pitino has already ironed out a summer
                                schedule for his players to use it.

                                He's blocked out two days in May and more
                                time in June, July, and September for what
                                he says are ''voluntary'' sessions. Just a
                                couple of hours a day.

                                It sounds innocuous and, in truth, it is.
                                The players probably are going to work out
                                anyway - most of them should - and those
                                who stick around will likely use the
                                facility on their own. It's all part of
                                Pitino's plan to have his players in top
                                shape for the 1999-2000 season.

                                ''This is a voluntary thing,'' Pitino
                                said. ''If people want to get better, we
                                will work with them. Just playing
                                basketball is a detriment.''

                                Pitino went on, ''This is for people who
                                want to work with us.'' Asked if the
                                players would be paid, the coach said,
                                ''No. Nor should they.''

                                Oops. Boston, we have a problem. The NBA
                                Players Association isn't thrilled with
                                Pitino's ''voluntary'' summer plan -
                                without remuneration - and, in fact, says
                                it's against the rules.

                                ''We would have a problem with it,'' said
                                union attorney Ron Klempner, who plans to
                                discuss the matter with Billy Hunter, the
                                union's executive director. ''We bargained
                                for a season that ends in the spring and
                                begins in the fall. If a team wishes to
                                have skills and workout sessions in the
                                summer, there must be individually
                                negotiated bonuses for those who attend.''

                                Pitino ran afoul of the union in his first
                                summer because some of Boston's contracts
                                contained language that actually docked
                                players who did not attend workout
                                sessions. He apparently has done so again;
                                prohibitions against such policies are
                                spelled out in the not-so-fine print in
                                the just-completed Collective Bargaining
                                Agreement.

                                The league, too, has kept an eye on the
                                coach's ''voluntary'' summer sessions. Two
                                summers ago, it warned him that it viewed
                                such gatherings as unfair because it gave
                                his team a competitive advantage.

                                Pitino has a history of envelope pushing,
                                and this is just the latest example. He's
                                got the right idea; getting the players in
                                shape is important. The union just feels
                                it might be a good idea if he and his
                                people checked the rules first.

                                Up and down

                                There were a lot of familiar names on
                                rosters at the just-concluded Nike Desert
                                Classic in Phoenix. One of the more
                                intriguing is that of Lari Ketner, the
                                Massachusetts big man who alternately
                                fascinates and puzzles NBA scouts. The
                                early returns on Ketner, courtesy of
                                Celtics general manager Chris Wallace,
                                were encouraging. ''He's looked a lot
                                better than he did in college. He's more
                                alert, more active,'' Wallace said. ''He's
                                slowly crawling out of the hole that he
                                dug for himself. I don't know how far he
                                still has to crawl or where that puts him
                                in the draft, but he's taken the first
                                step at coming back from the dead.''
                                Ketner measured only 6 feet 8 1/2 inches
                                (in socks) and weighed a svelte 282 pounds
                                at Phoenix, a predraft showcase for
                                seniors, although the top ones rarely
                                participate. Ketner said he felt he had a
                                lot to prove. ''I have to start playing
                                the way I played when the scouts were
                                first attracted to me,'' he said. ''That's
                                what I'm trying to do. I had a bad season,
                                I know that. I know there are a lot of
                                guys who know what I can do, but question
                                whether I can do it on a consistent basis.
                                I've got a lot to improve on and I'm going
                                to make the most of it.'' Wallace said
                                there were seven or eight others who
                                showed well in the early games. James
                                Posey of Xavier probably made the biggest
                                impression and now might be the fourth
                                senior taken after Wally Szczerbiak, Andre
                                Miller , and Jason Terry. Wayne Turner
                                also is there. ''Wayne is still Wayne,''
                                Wallace said, referring to Turner's
                                reputation as a point guard who cannot
                                shoot. ''He can defend. He can push it.
                                The big question is always going to be if
                                he can develop into a shooter.'' ... One
                                more interesting name at Phoenix: Menk
                                Bateer. He's a 6-10, 270-pound Chinese
                                version of Vitaly Potapenko. He's also a
                                free agent, which means he could go
                                anywhere anytime. He has played for both
                                the Chinese National Team and the Beijing
                                Ducks. He was the second-leading rebounder
                                in China this past season, but Wallace
                                says he doesn't anticipate anyone rushing
                                to sign the kid. ''Then again,'' Wallace
                                said, ''he's one of the few big men who's
                                free as we speak.'' ... <SNIP>

                                Antoine Walker is right about
                                one thing: If the Celtics keep adding five
                                and six players every year, they're going
                                to spin their wheels forever. Last year,
                                Pitino's first, we saw too many new people
                                to track. This year, we've got Paul
                                Pierce, Potapenko, Tony Battie, Eric Riley
                                , Dwayne Schintzius , Marlon Garnett ,
                                and, for their first full years, Kenny
                                Anderson and Popeye Jones. Next year,
                                there are bound to be more. The only free
                                agent of any note the Celtics have is
                                Bruce Bowen, and don't be surprised if
                                they let him go. First, they tried to
                                trade him to the Clippers. Second, the
                                play of Greg Minor is making Bowen
                                expendable. Minor may not be as good as
                                Bowen on defense, but he's much better on
                                offense. And he's locked up for two more
                                years, and how many teams would want that
                                salary even if they wanted the player? The
                                Celtics, by the way, have about $43
                                million-$44 million committed in salaries
                                next season, including a freshly minted
                                $2.5 million for Walter McCarty (why they
                                moved so fast on him in still a mystery)
                                and $1.5 million for Schintzius, although
                                less than half is guaranteed. The salary
                                cap is $34 million ...
                                <SNIP>
                                Globe on 04/18/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.