Re: my beef

----- Original Message -----
From: Mark Berry <mberry@journalink.com>
To: <celtics@igtc.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 17, 1999 2:19 AM
Subject: my beef

> I guess I'm a Walker defender, and someone who, although fond of Ron
Mercer, is
> not sold on Mercer. Tonight is a great example of my single biggest
complaint
> about Ron. Now, granted, I haven't been watching the game, just monitoring
it
> on-line at work, but here's my beef: Mercer, in 30 minutes, has six points
on 3
> for 9 shooting, hasn't attempted a 3-pointer or FT, has no rebounds and no
> assists. It just seems to me he is far too willing to fade into the
background
> in some games. I just don't think he always competes hard (not to be
confused
> with playing hard). Walker may have some awful games, but I've never
watched a
> Celtics game when I didn't get the feeling he was competing just as hard
as he
> could. I think he'd do anything to win and sometimes gets in trouble
trying to
> do too much. Mercer too often doesn't do enough.
>
> Mark

Wrenched his back and was unable to continue.  I don't question Mercer's
competitive urge at all.  I think he is somewhat inconsistent, as all
players his age who came out early.  Hell, Anderson's been in the league for
years and still suffers that malady, as do Toine and Pierce.

I'd think back to the flagrant foul Mercer took from Popeye last year while
driving the baseline, to gain an insight to him.

Cecil