Bob Ryan On The Unhappy Boston Fans

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                Problem with Celtic fans isn't likely to
                                blow over

                                By Bob Ryan, Globe Columnist, 04/16/99

                                Here is what Rick Pitino was really
                                        saying after Wednesday night's
                                latest tedious evening at the Fleet:
                                ''Can't we all get along?''

                                The sad answer may very well be no, at
                                least not for the forseeable future.

                                The players don't understand the fans and
                                the fans don't like the players. The
                                president/coach wishes the season weren't
                                even taking place. The 1999 Boston Celtics
                                campaign, declared Rick Pitino, is a
                                ''debacle to me.''

                                The only good news is that, starting
                                tonight, only seven home games remain.

                                It is not hard to understand why things
                                are so bad between the Celtics and the
                                fans. Bear with me as I try to explain.

                                Begin with the idea that the Boston
                                Celtics as an organization have spoiled
                                this city and its basketball fans. From
                                1956 until approximately 1992 (Larry
                                Bird's last year) the Celtics were
                                winners, and often champions. Down periods
                                were brief. The two specific rebuilding
                                periods took five and two years,
                                respectively, to produce a championship.
                                It was quite natural to think that the
                                Celtics would always be great. Worse yet,
                                it was quite natural to start thinking
                                that they actually owed it to you to be
                                great, just because you were you,
                                wonderful you. (This is a corollary of the
                                narcissistic entitlement view held by so
                                many Red Sox fans.)

                                Those people may or may not still be going
                                to games. Some are disillusioned. Some
                                have been priced out. Some detest the
                                NBA's New World Order of Noise and Hype,
                                preferring, instead, sport to quote,
                                entertainment, unquote. I suspect the
                                diehards of the 1960s and 1970s, and even
                                their offspring, are now basically
                                stay-aways.

                                But some of them undoubtedly do go, and
                                they are very unhappy patrons. They have
                                known too many good times and they have
                                been privileged to see too many great
                                players. They are very hard markers.

                                That's one category of unhappy Celtic fan.
                                Next up are the people who got overly
                                excited about the arrival of Rick Pitino
                                and who may not have understood that going
                                from 15 wins to 36 was the easy part. They
                                underestimated the ramifications of having
                                so many important young players on the
                                team and never thought that having 17 of
                                the first 26 games on the road would have
                                such a detrimental effect on the team. You
                                can include me in that group, but now I
                                understand. The schedule was a killer.
                                This team could not handle it.

                                The three key players are very young.
                                Antoine Walker is 22. Ron Mercer is 22.
                                Paul Pierce is 21. Larry Bird, in case
                                you've forgotten, was a 23-year-old
                                rookie. Sam Jones was a 24-year-old
                                rookie. These are different times. The NBA
                                is a vulture's league, preying on the
                                emotional weakness of the young. Is it any
                                surprise that the best teams - Utah,
                                Miami, Portland, Houston, Indiana, etc. -
                                all depend on players who have been around
                                anywhere from six to 16 years? I think
                                not.

                                I believe there is only one real reason to
                                boo, and that is lack of effort. Repeated
                                stupidity is aggravating, but not booable.
                                And anyone can make a bad judgment. You
                                think Larry Bird didn't take some foolish
                                shots?

                                Fans at the Fleet have become so hostile
                                they now boo Just Because. On Wednesday
                                night Walker came down on a fast break -
                                yup, an honest-to-God fast break - and
                                pulled up for an open foul line jumper. He
                                missed. And he was booed.

                                That was ridiculous. The shot in question
                                would have been taken by John Havlicek and
                                Larry Bird, because it was the proper
                                basketball judgment. Antoine takes it, and
                                when it doesn't go in, he gets booed? This
                                is irrational fan bahavior.

                                But that's where we are now, and in this
                                case some of it is Antoine's fault and
                                some of it is Pitino's fault. Antoine
                                would not accept the fact that all the
                                shoulder-wiggling and hot-dogging he
                                indulged in during his first two years did
                                not amuse his own fans. He would not
                                accept that his fruitless coast-to-coast
                                ventures, often ending in a strip
                                somewhere in the foul lane, were
                                counter-productive. At his best, the fans
                                have been tolerating him.

                                Pitino made matters much worse by naming
                                him captain before his 22d birthday. That
                                naive act insulted the savvier fans. It
                                amazes me that Pitino couldn't see this.
                                He was recklessly setting up Antoine for a
                                fall from grace. I guess I shouldn't be
                                surprised. Rick Pitino is such a 24-hour
                                conglomerate he no longer has any real
                                contact with the outside world.

                                What we now have at the Fleet is a fandom
                                that pines for the old days; that loathes
                                the truly insulting and irrelevant ''game
                                presentation'' that assumes you really
                                haven't come for the game; and that is
                                extremely resentful of the player salaries
                                and the high ticket prices (it cost me $3
                                to see Game 7 of the 1966 Finals from the
                                loge, and I've got the ticket stub to
                                prove it). Mixed in are a large number of
                                kids whose only interest in being in
                                attendance is to see themselves on the
                                jumbotron, and who will mimic their elders
                                when the booing starts.

                                The basic 1999 NBA game, of course, is
                                beyond dreadful. It is positively numbing
                                compared to its glory days of the
                                mid-1980s. Instead of T-shirts, the
                                Parquet Patrol should be shooting refunds
                                into the stands.

                                The players have raw skill, but few are
                                grounded enough in fundamentals to have
                                anything resembling a Plan B if the
                                defense takes away Plan A, which it so
                                often does. Worse yet, the coaches, as
                                exemplified by tonight's guest, the
                                thoroughly reinvented Pat Riley, have
                                strangled 99.9 percent of the offensive
                                life out of the game.

                                Fast breaks are as frequent as human
                                sacrifices on Boston Common. With the game
                                lacking all semblance of grace, flow, and
                                beauty, winning really does become the
                                only thing, and the Fleet fans really do
                                expect the Celtics to lose. Thus, on-court
                                mistakes are self-fulfilling prophecies.

                                The players, who know so little about
                                their athletic ancestry, are absolutely
                                clueless. The fans think they stink and
                                hate them for the money, which, the
                                players reason, was not extracted at the
                                barrel of a gun, so far as they can
                                recall. Being immature, they cannot
                                understand how they can be booed at home,
                                where things are supposed to be
                                lovey-dovey. They tighten up, play worse,
                                and down come the boos. Pitino is correct.
                                The booing serves no purpose. The players,
                                Walker included, really are trying.

                                Now everyone is overreacting. It wasn't
                                even that bad at the Fleet on Wednesday.
                                There have been many worse nights this
                                season. Hey, with less than a minute to
                                go, they were a good Pierce shot away from
                                winning. But when the game was over Pitino
                                yelled at a fan - Rick, this has got to
                                stop - and then he was practically begging
                                people to stop booing Walker and Walker
                                was in ther locker room feeling sorry from
                                himself, and then we run a poignant
                                full-color picture of a frustrated Walker
                                and when I first saw the headlines I
                                thought the Serbs had landed on Revere
                                Beach.

                                Whoa.

                                We've had bad teams and unpleasant
                                atmospheres around here before (Hello,
                                Sidney), but this is something different.
                                The entire Boston NBA experience is
                                somehow off its axis. The real problem
                                isn't Pitino, and it isn't Walker and it
                                isn't the 14-24 record. The real problem
                                is that even if the Celtics were 24-14, or
                                even 34-4, and on their way to the
                                playoffs the fun we once knew in this
                                league is gone. Our beloved game has been
                                hijacked by some weird, alien force. It's
                                all sadly wrong. The Fleet fans may not
                                realize it, but what they're really doing
                                when they boo is lament an NBA, that, for
                                us, at least, no longer exists.

                                Bob Ryan is a Globe columnist.

                                This story ran on page E01 of the Boston
                                Globe on 04/16/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.