Re: Shooting form

Todd Crane wrote:

> The reason Walker's hand follows through towards the right is that it is a way to exaggerate
> the follow through and generate the appropriate amount of backspin on the ball.  As for the
> pinkie, it should be pointed up as if the player is holding a tea cup with the proper British
> etiquette.  This actually insures that the ball comes off the middle three fingers with the
> thumb and pinkie providing support.  One of the best examples of the pinkie up approach was
> Jerry Schisting (I'm sure I've butchered the spelling) who was absolutely automatic from 20
> feet.  The proper direction on a shot is not generated by the hand at all, it really is created
> by positioning the shooting elbow under the ball and pointed at the basket.  (...)

Hi Todd:

Do you mean "Walter" or "Walker"??    I didn't notice that Antoine shoots that way. Also, I'm still
not sure how this generates backspin.

One thing I notice about Toine is that he doesn't align his elbow directly under the ball but
instead releases his shot directly over his head, therefore with his shooting elbow at a slight
angle (not a 90 degree angle to the floor). By contrast, Larry Bird's elbow was always naturally
aligned under the ball because he cocked the ball back to his right ear instead of above his eyes.
Other players sort of contort their lower bodies in order to line up their elbow under the ball on
their way up to shoot.  I don't know what works best. I've experimented with all three approaches,
which is probably why I'm such a master bricklayer.

FWIW, I always thought that Bird's shooting form guaranteed the ball would move consistently
straighter (because you tend to cock it back further before the release) but that the angle of the
shot would not be precisely aligned with your eyes (like aiming a pistol from your hip). Therefore,
shooting from the side of your head works well on shots you can practice long enough to feel
comfortable with the angles, such as free throws or (maybe) three pointers. It worked pretty well
for Bird (understatement of the year?).

Anyway, I'm no shot doctor. I'm not even a shot nurse.