Shooting form

> Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:34:08 -0500
> From: Bob Miller <bob@pointofchoice.com>
> Subject: Re: Shooting Form
>

> FWIW, on his follow through Walt's shooting hand ends up perpendicular to
> the basket (he sort of flicks his wrist off to the right). I remember
> Johnnie Dawkins (a good shooter) also did that, but I don't understand the
> principle behind it. Wouldn't the pumpkin have a curveball movement?
> >>

> This technique follows the principle that the pinkie gives direction to the
> shot. So during the follow-through, the pinkie should be pointing at the
> basket.

Either I misunderstand your explaination, or you're not a very good shooter ;-)
The reason Walker's hand follows through towards the right is that it is a way to exaggerate
the follow through and generate the appropriate amount of backspin on the ball.  As for the
pinkie, it should be pointed up as if the player is holding a tea cup with the proper British
etiquette.  This actually insures that the ball comes off the middle three fingers with the
thumb and pinkie providing support.  One of the best examples of the pinkie up approach was
Jerry Schisting (I'm sure I've butchered the spelling) who was absolutely automatic from 20
feet.  The proper direction on a shot is not generated by the hand at all, it really is created
by positioning the shooting elbow under the ball and pointed at the basket.  Bird has textbook
form in this regard.  Just watch the footage of Larry taking a freethrow.  He takes two bounces
using both hands to get a good feel for the ball.  Establishes a triple threat position with
his eyes fixed on the basket and his elbow squarely under the ball, lifts with the knees,
extends the arm, follows through with the hand and swish.  Concentration and a methodical
approach equals 90% from the free throw line.  A concept Mr. Walker is now beginning to
appreciate.

Todd