Trades

I think the only trades that people should be upset about are ones
that involve a starter - Anderson, Mercer, Pierce, Walker, Potapenko -
or a first round draft pick. Small trades like Battie for Rogers
are insignificant in comparison. Free agent signings using the salary
cap exemptions are similarly minor.

My impression is that Pitino will most likely build around Walker and
Pierce, who are not only the most talented players but also have
favorable salary situations. Really, Walker's $71M contract is a good
deal for his talent level. They're also capable of being physically
dominant at their positions (Walker at 3, Pierce at 2).

The others will be dangled as trade bait to upgrade at either point
guard or big man. I would guess that two out of the three are gone
by next year's trading deadline.

Pitino said before the Nets game, I think, that there are a few players
in the league that can just about win a game individually. The players
he mentioned were Marbury, Iverson, and Grant Hill. I would guess that
the reason is because they are the primary playmakers for their teams as
well as their primary scorers. I'd also think that a dominant center
is similarly powerful, on both ends of the floor. If the Celtics can
add a player of this caliber and keep Walker, I'd think they'd be elevated
to being a contender. It's too bad the Mercer and Anderson for Marbury
trade didn't go through.

Alex