Rodney Rogers

Hey all,

I think you've all been pretty harsh on Rodney Rogers.

Sure we dont want to see him go for Ron Mercer and I dont blame you, but
if you all remember the deal that was going to go through, Battie and
Bowen for Rogers and if its still on with a sign-and-trade then I think
this is a positive move for the team.

If you really think about it, Rogers has never had a quality coach in
his entire NBA career, except perhaps Dan Issel when he was a rookie and
they had the shock victory over the Sonics in the first round of the NBA
playoffs (1993-94 season).

The analysis on Rogers after his first season in the NBA was a positive
one. Since then hes had to deal with the resignation of a coach, a new
coach coming in mid year and a trade to the Clippers where as we all
know it is never stable.

Give the guy some stability, solid teammates inparticular Antoine
Walker, Paul Pierce and hopefully Ron Mercer and you may have yourselves
one of the better teams in the league.

Now if only we can find that defensive minded point guard.

I along with many have aluded to Charlie Ward being the perfect answer
to that position. Ward is a good 6'2" and a very strong 190 pounds. To
his credit he has won the 'Heisman' trophy as the nation's top
collegiate football player after leading the Florida State Seminoles to
the 1993 national title as a quarter back. Now, think about it. The star
Quarter Back for a national champion must mean that the guy is
tremendously gifted as an athlete and also strong (and tough) enough to
maintain his body for the daily grind of an NBA player.

Work ethic is one of Ward's strongest assets and thus would work in a
Rick Pitino style of game. The Knicks also have another defensive minded
point guard in Chris Childs who the Knicks have tried shopping
previously. Childs is also a rather large point guard at 6'3" and 195
pounds.

If they would accept a package of Kenny Anderson (home town point guard
would be a tremendous marketing object for them) and Greg Minor for both
Ward and Childs then the Celtics may have themselves a fine lineup.

Center - Vitaly Potapenko
Forward - Antoine Walker
Forward - Rodney Rogers
Guard - Ron Mercer
Guard - Charlie Ward

Key Players on the Bench

Guard/Forward - Paul Pierce
Guard - Chris Childs
Guard - Dana Barros
Forward - Walter McCarty
Forward - Popeye Jones

Injury List

Pervis Ellison

Free Agents

Eric Riley
Dwayne Schnitzius
Marlon Garnett

I certainly think that if we had that team [and mark my words for it -
it is possible] then we're a playoff bound team in Pitino's third year
as coach.

Also, you can take your pick as off guard and sixth man - Mercer or
Pierce? Both will play the same amount of minutes (around 30) and each
will have a major affect on how this team performs.

Cheers,

Warwick