Re: RP show

>Pitino jokes that the team really is two players away - "Larry Bird
>and Kevin McHale." But he thinks the needs are a big point guard that
>can stop opposing point guards from posting up, and a power forward
>so that Antoine can play at 3 and Pierce can play at 2. Honestly,
>it really sounds like Mercer is a goner to me. When's the last time
>Pitino has criticized Mercer either, even after some clearly bad games?
>I think he's keeping Mercer's trade value up.

Alex...Did Pitino actually say:

>>so that Antoine can play at 3 and Pierce can play at 2.

If so, and I'm Ron Mercer....I'm packing my bags now. Also, do you really
think anybody who wants to trade with Pitino actually listens to what he
says about a player? If I had to guess, people watch the films, and in
Mercer's case, they assume that his coach is the reason the kid's having a
disappointing year. Two players away from being a contender? Wait 'til
2000? If this team goes into  next season with the exact same players they
don't come anywhere near the playoffs...and I'm just not convinced Pitino
can make the right moves to get this team out of the first round even if
they ever get there. Rodney Rogers? He's got to be kidding! Sometimes I
think Pitino just doesn't understand that he's not in college anymore. He
just doesn't understand it's not about having a great coach...but about
having a lot of really, really, really good NBA talent. Sometimes I think
he doesn't know the difference between a really good college player and a
really good NBA player. Rodney Rogers? Another mediocre NBA talent. But...I
haven't had enough coffee yet.

Paul M.