No Subject

><P>  Rick Pitino, halfway into his second season as Celtic coach and
>construction supervisor, already knows he made a costly mistake by
>building a team founded solely on gifted, youthful offenders.
><P>  It's not like Antoine Walker, Paul Pierce and Ron Mercer don't follow
>their leader. Unfortunately, it's the physically soft, psychologically
>self-seeking Kenny Anderson.
><P>  As for the respected Dana Barros, his subdued spirit and
>insignificant role disqualify him as someone to emulate.
><P>  In retrospect (although it's not like Pitino's decisions were
>accepted as gospel at the time), it would've been sensible to keep Dee
>Brown and Rick Fox, lucky enough to be tutored and tuned up by Larry Bird
>and Kevin McHale.
><P>  Looking ahead, Pitino understands the gravity of somehow securing a
>revered relic or two who show up every night wearing work boots. The
>larger issue is, does Rick the Ruler understand the importance of giving
>such leaders the freedom, not only to school and scold teammates, but to
>speak up on their behalf to the coach without retribution?
><P>  It is an insecure dictator, I submit, who believes that having weak
>people surrounding him means he's stronger. Fact is, it makes the team
>weaker and feeling extremely oppressed.

><P>  "Oak is always pulling me aside and whispering in my ear, telling
>what I should do, or what I did wrong," Vince Carter said. "I don't know
>where I'd be without him to lean on and learn from."

><P>  That goes double for the Raptors. Which is why Pitino and Pat Riley,
>say sources, have already sent word to Oakley to see them as soon as he
>becomes a free agent July 1. Obviously, the Raptors, having the most to
>invest, will have first dibs on his services.

><P>  In their one-point home loss to the Bucks, the Celtics were out-
>attempted from the line, 30-12. If they were any more shy taking free
>throws, they'd write Vin Baker's name on their sneakers.
><P>  The good news for Pitino is, there are only 27 days of training left
>before the Kentucky Derby.

Oakley will never play for Pitino. The Celtics don't have enough money, and
Oakley doesn't need the screaming. And, something else pretty painful. Red
is being quoted/ridiculed in a couple sources this morning saying that the
Celtics were just two players away from being contenders. There really
should be a moratorium on "contender talk" until the team actually
approaches something close to...let's say.....500. It only convinces the
rest of the country that management is deluded, out of touch, and living in
the past. Place your wise-ass, sarcastic remarks here when you reply.

Paul M.