Wes Unseld Interview - Washington Post

                     Note to HR: No ML Carr = No Antoine or Mercer; Paul Pierce too.

                                              Washington Post
                                              Transcript of Sports Chat With Wes Unseld

                                              Our guest for the Sept. 14 edition of Sports Chat was
                                              Wes Unseld, the general manager of the NBA's Washington
                                              Wizards and the WNBA's Washington Mystics.

                                              Unseld has been an integral part of the Washington
                                              sports scene for nearly 20 years. He joined the
                                              then-Washington Bullets in 1969 after playing his
                                              college ball at the University of Louisville. In his
                                              debut season, Unseld earned Rookie of the Year and MVP
                                              honors, after being drafted with the second overall
                                              pick.

                                              The 6-7, 245-pound center played for the Bullets for 13
                                              years, where he became an excellent position rebounder
                                              known for crisp outlet passes. He retired as the NBA's
                                              seventh all-time leading rebounder with 13,769 rebounds
                                              for an average of 14.0 per game. He is one of only 20
                                              players in NBA history to score more than 10,000 points
                                              and grab more than 10,000 rebounds.

                                              In 1978, he and fellow Hall-of-Famer Elvin Hayes led
                                              Washington past Seattle for the NBA championship and
                                              was named MVP for the series. In 1987, Unseld became
                                              head coach of the Bullets, a position he held for seven
                                              seasons. In 1997, Unseld was named one of the "50
                                              Greatest Players In NBA History."

                                              A transcript of the discussion follows:

                                              Arlington, Va: What kind of a chance do the Mystics
                                              have at getting Chamique Holdsclaw?

                                              Wes Unseld: Well, I think our chances should be very
                                              good because of the way the draft, as of right now, is
                                              set up. We don't know exactly how it is going to be
                                              done, but by all rights we should get the first pick.
                                              If we feel that Holdsclaw is the best person to help
                                              our team, that's what we'll do. We'll have our scouts
                                              out checking whether that's a wise decision.

                                              Hyde Ctm N.C.: who was the greatest center of all
                                              times?

                                              Wes Unseld: I'm going to have to say in my time,
                                              because that's what I can really base my answer on.
                                              That has to be Kareem. I had a chance to play against
                                              Wilt and Bill Russell but I played against them on the
                                              down side of their careers. I played against Kareem
                                              during the height of his career and he is the best
                                              center I played against, perhaps the best player of all
                                              time.

                                              Bowie, MD: Do you find the sense of ethics, maturity
                                              and code of honor lacking in today's players as
                                              compared to when you were playing?

                                              Wes Unseld: Well, I will have to get philosophical to
                                              answer that question. I don't know whether it's a code
                                              of ethics or an understanding as to what is most
                                              important about the game today, as it was years ago. I
                                              think players understood in the past, that the game was
                                              the most important thing. Today, for a whole lot of
                                              reasons, players think they are the most important
                                              aspect of what is going on in the game.

                                              Stamford, Connecticut: Wes,
                                              Do you feel that the current NBA lockout has hurt or
                                              helped you chances to sign free-agent Rod Strickland?
                                              Is signing Strickland still a top priority if and when
                                              he CBA dispute is settled?

                                              Wes Unseld: Beause of the lockout and the rules that
                                              govern it, I am unable to discuss players, transactions
                                              or any aspect that involves those two things.

                                              Richmond, KY: Mr. Unseld,
                                              Is it true that at one time you could stand in front of
                                              the backboard, toss the ball off of the board, catch it
                                              in mid-air turn and hit the backboard at the other end
                                              of the court before your feet hit the ground?

                                              Wes Unseld: Yeah, I used to do that quite often. I used
                                              to do it at camps to impress people -- I also used to
                                              make baskets at the other end. I made a lot of money
                                              doing it because people didn't believe I could do it.
                                              It was more trickery than anything, but I didn't let
                                              on.

                                              Washington, D.C.: Wes - in your tenure as a coach or
                                              GM, the Wizards have been mediocre at best. Never
                                              winning one playoff game. How many years do you think
                                              you deserve to make this team relevant? Do you think
                                              people should keep their jobs despite being
                                              ineffective, just because they are good friends with
                                              the owner?

                                              Wes Unseld: Well, that's very difficult to answer. When
                                              I was a coach, if you're going to use those standards,
                                              do I take the responsibiltiy of getting the plaeyrs
                                              that played? As a general manager, I take the
                                              responsibility of getting the players here for the
                                              coach, that's my job. What I have to judge is: Did I
                                              provide enough players to make the playoffs. I think
                                              those are the type of judgment calls that need to be
                                              made.

                                              Don't believe under any circumnstances that my
                                              friendship with the owner will get in the way of the
                                              team being successful.

                                              York, PA: I feel that when you were a player you got
                                              the most out of your abilities and when you were a
                                              coach, your players displayed that same attitude. Would
                                              you ever consider coming back to coaching the Wizards
                                              or any other team ever again?

                                              Wes Unseld: I cannot see that ever happening. Coaching,
                                              I enjoyed the players I had at the time that allowed me
                                              to coach them. I don't think I did them any favors and
                                              even though I enjoyed the players, I did not enjoy the
                                              process.

                                              Arlington, Virginia: Do you think that ticket prices
                                              for the Mystics next year will go up, down, or stay the
                                              same?

                                              Wes Unseld: You're asking me to comment on one aspect
                                              of the team that I have had very little to do with. It
                                              is very difficult when you start up a franchise to get
                                              it up and running. I do have some responsiblity in that
                                              aspect but it was not one I have given proper time and
                                              consideration.

                                              Whether I will get involved in that aspect this year,
                                              I'm not so sure. What we want to do is make it
                                              successful. I don't know what that decision is going to
                                              be, but I will probably have some input into it.

                                              Washington, DC: Coach Kathy Parsons is a dynamic coach
                                              with a proven track record and her ability to motivate
                                              the team was phenominal towards the end of the season.
                                              When will you announce her as next year's head coach?

                                              Wes Unseld: I will meet and I have met with Kathy, and
                                              others. There is no timetable as to when that decision
                                              is going to be made, but it will be done in a fashion
                                              to allow whoever it is to get ready and be prepared and
                                              be ready to make the decisions on player selections and
                                              the other dynamics needed for us to be ready for next
                                              year.

                                              Hyattsville, MD: Wes, how did you evaluate Murriel Page
                                              as a better player for the Mystics than Tracy Reid in
                                              the 1st round?

                                              Wes Unseld: It was done the same way we evaluate any
                                              player. You look at a player, their abilities, you
                                              assess what your needs are and you make a decision.

                                              If you put Murriel Page on Charlotte's team, do you ask
                                              that question? If you look at her individiual numbers,
                                              you would see that they are better in most cases than
                                              Tracy Reid's.

                                              Clinton MD: What you have learned to better yourself as
                                              a GM from the events of this past season? And do you
                                              feel you have a connection with the younger generation
                                              of players today?

                                              Thank you

                                              Wes Unseld: Just sitting here, I can't tell you what I
                                              learned or needed to learn but I will say that there is
                                              always room for improvement.

                                              I would like to think so. But, whether it is the
                                              younger generation or anybody, there has to be certain
                                              ethics that that person brings to the table. It's too
                                              easy to say this is a generational thing, to say it is
                                              one generation against another. Working hard transcends
                                              generations.

                                              Baltimore, MD: Are you going after Dawn Staley for next
                                              season and what are our chances of getting her to play
                                              for the Mystics?

                                              Wes Unseld: Right now, my understanding is that Dawn
                                              Staley will be one of the allocated players -- a player
                                              that the league gives you. I don't know exactly, at
                                              this time, until we decide who is going to lead this
                                              team -- once that person is named, then they will
                                              figure into making these kinds of decisions.

                                              Bowie, MD: Do you think that Michael Jordan will
                                              return? And if not, what effect will this have on
                                              basketball?

                                              Wes Unseld: I don't know any more about that situation
                                              other than what I read in the papers, like everyone
                                              else. I certainly hope he does because he gives the
                                              whole game a good name.

                                              WEST SPRINGFIELD, VA.: I thought that the open letter
                                              to the fans, criticizing the actions of the team, was
                                              good. But don't you think it would have been more
                                              effective during the season?

                                              Wes Unseld: Possibly, in hindsight, maybe it should
                                              have been something during the middle of the season,
                                              but when you do something like that it is dealing with
                                              the emotions of the time. I wanted to step back and let
                                              the emotions subside. I knew how frustrated I was and I
                                              knew how frustrated our fans were, but it wasn't
                                              something I thought about doing during the season.

                                              Sterling, VA: What's on the horizon for the Mystics as
                                              an organization?

                                              Wes Unseld: To put a better product on the floor. Very
                                              simple. Every other aspect of the Mystics exceeded
                                              everyone's expectations. All that's left is getting a
                                              better team.

                                              Herndon, VA: It seems to me that a lot of the maturity
                                              and discipline problems in the NBA could be avoided if
                                              the players didn't enter the league at such young ages.
                                              What do you think? Also, how much do you think this
                                              practice is taking away from the college game?

                                              Wes Unseld: I agree with that, to a degree. I tend to
                                              think, though that it is not so much youth as it is
                                              actions of certain players. I think it also has to do
                                              with the abundance of media -- every incident is
                                              covered and is out there. That wasn't the case in the
                                              past, but there also weren't that many incidents in the
                                              past.

                                              I also think that some of us in positions of authority
                                              and responsibility have not done the best job in
                                              handling these incidents and I think that has to
                                              change. I think each individual in these positions
                                              should do what they have to do and can do.

                                              Ashburn, VA: How much do you think the popularity of
                                              the WNBA is a result of the fan's frustration with the
                                              NBA players?

                                              Wes Unseld: I'm not going to demean WBNA popularity by
                                              addressing another matter. I think the WNBA game spoke
                                              for itself. I think people liked what they saw on the
                                              court and liked the experience they had at the games. I
                                              think that was the key to the support.

                                              Falling Waters, West Va: How well you feel you've
                                              performed in all of the various job tasks (Multiple
                                              Titles of Wizards/Mystics GM, Head of Basketball
                                              Operations at MCI, etc.)? Do you feel you could do
                                              better if you focused more of your considerable energy
                                              on only one or two tasks?

                                              Wes Unseld: I think that is for others to judge. I
                                              guess that's all I can answer on a question like that.

                                              Fairfax, Virginia: The Mystics obviously have many
                                              areas to address in the offseason but what is the top
                                              priority or hole the team will try to fill?

                                              Wes Unseld: I think the biggest priority is that we've
                                              got to get a go-to player and a leadership player.

                                              Dallas, TX: Hey Wes, why the premium on pure height (as
                                              opposed to a more complete package) at center in the
                                              NBA these days? The Unseld-Hayes-Dandrige front line
                                              ranks among the best ever, and I'd vote for it as THE
                                              best front line when you take average height into
                                              consideration. Seems to me that when you look at the
                                              centers today that were drafted mostly for their height
                                              (Manute Bol, Shaun Bradley, even Muresan) you lose as
                                              much as you gain. Sure "you can't teach height", but
                                              isn't a complete 6'10" center better (a LOT better)than
                                              a 7'7" incomplete player?

                                              Wes Unseld: Yeah, I don't think height is the most
                                              improtant thing you consider. It's the ability of that
                                              person to play that position.

                                              New York, NY: How tough is it for a team to stick
                                              together during a lockout? Can one player be a unifier
                                              and get them to play together so they're ready when it
                                              ends?

                                              Wes Unseld: I have no idea. That's one of those
                                              questions I don't have an answer to and couldn't answer
                                              if I did.

                                              Washington, DC: Who of your former championship
                                              teammates do you keep in touch with and what are they
                                              up to?

                                              Wes Unseld: I keep in touch with all of them, pretty
                                              much. They are all doing well. Most of them are very
                                              successful and doing well.

                                              Washington, DC: Mr Unseld;

                                              It seems that over the past few years the level of play
                                              in the NBA has declined except for a couple of players
                                              -- MJ, Ewing, etc. -- yet the salaries have sky
                                              rocketed. As a GM do you feel that today's players will
                                              ever grasp the basics of basketball? And should the NBA
                                              draft kids out of high school or after 1 or 2 years of
                                              college?

                                              thanks

                                              Wes Unseld: Well, I think a lot of it has to do with
                                              what they're doing in college, what they're learning,
                                              how much of the teaching process they go through before
                                              we get them. We don't re-invent the wheel once they get
                                              here. We just augment what they learned in high school
                                              and college.

                                              Washington, DC: Except on rare occasions, the Mystics
                                              rarely played like a team. The point guard would bring
                                              the ball up and have nobody to pass to since the other
                                              players stood where they had planted themselves. Is
                                              this bad coaching, bad players, or something else..

                                              Wes Unseld: Well, that's what we're trying to ascertain
                                              right now.

                                              NY, NY: While you can't discuss NBA players, I don't
                                              think the lockout affects your ability to discuss those
                                              in college. Who do you think are the best five
                                              prospects?

                                              Wes Unseld: I'm not too sure if I can even answer that
                                              question right now.

                                              Bethesda, MD: My favorite Bullet of all time was Gus
                                              Johnson. Can you tell me some things about playing with
                                              him, and what he was like? Any current NBA player
                                              remind you of him? Thank you, Wes.

                                              Wes Unseld: He was my favorite player of all time as
                                              well. He was a man to me, playing with a bunch of boys,
                                              because of his strength and approach to the game, along
                                              with everything else. I don't know if there is anyone I
                                              can compare to him.

                                              Steve Fox, washingtonpost.com: Thanks, Wes, for joining
                                              us today on Sports Chat. Thank you all for your
                                              questions. Unfortunately, league rules prevented Wes
                                              from dealing with any labor issues related to the
                                              Wizards and the NBA. Please join us again Tuesday at 11
                                              a.m., when The Post's Len Shapiro will join us in a
                                              dicussion of the Redskins.

                                                   © Copyright 1998 The Washington Post Company