Re: Lockout: Does anyone care?

In a message dated 9/26/98 10:26:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
bgeorge76@hotmail.com writes:

>  But the NBA is incredibly unlikeable, and I will not miss
>  it.
     While I certainly can't tell you you're wrong, I would beg to differ.
What I like about the NBA is the game.  A Dr. J dunk; a no-look pass from Gary
Payton; a Bird 3 at clutch time; the enthusiasm of Barkley; the supremacy of
Jordan.
     While I can't claim the expertise of some on this list, I would bet that
NBA players are much like any other group of 240 (or so) Americans.  Some are
kind, others are mean; some are flamboyant, others low-key.  I bet many of
them - probably a heavy majority - are devoted to their families, while others
are, indeed, irresponsible sperm donors.  Some have good marriages and good
divorces, or bad marriages and good divorces.  Some are close to their kids,
others aren't.
   (Oh my god, I'm starting to sound like a Republican!)  But there is
something in us that searches for the "bad boy" side of the NBA.  That's why
we read about it when some drunk hassles Barkely, who pushes back.  That's why
SI runs the cover story on paternity cases.  Seldom do we read "exposes" about
what a nice person someone is.
     So I like the NBA because of basketball.  I own a few shares of General
Electric, and sure don't like some of its policies, but I like it because my
stock grows.  That's why I have it.  Perhaps pro athletes as a group are
somewhat more selfish and self-indulgent than  others, but so what?  It's the
game that counts.
     Of course, this year it might not even be the game that counts...