Exhibition games to be cancelled

Hi List:

Geez, how time flies! According to the Washington Post, the NBA plans to
announce today (Thursday) the cancelation of some exhibition games.
Somehow I don't remember there being so little dialogue between players
and owners leading into previous strike-shortened seasons (MLB, NFL).
Talk about hubris! I can't help but conclude that the big shot players
and owners really aren't taking the concerns of fans seriously. In
particular, I think it is a gross error on the part of David Stern to
assume he and the NBA are already big enough to withstand this. Right
now I feel like sand-papering his stupid signature off my
imitation-leather basketball.

Joe H

Go Redsox!!  (take another little piece of my heart)

****

    "WASHINGTON (AP) -- The NBA is planning to cancel at least some of
its exhibition games as a labor stalemate and lockout goes into its 13th
week, according to The Washington Post.
    The newspaper quoted deputy commissioner Russ Granik as saying that
cancellation of the first week of the exhibition schedule would be
announced Thursday.
    "There's no chance we can hope to be ready to plan any exhibition
games in the first half of October, and we might as well let our fans
and promoters know that," Granik said.
    NBA training camps are scheduled to open Oct. 6. and the first
exhibition games are scheduled for Oct. 13. The regular season is
scheduled to open Nov. 3. "

****