re:Mercer and Walker

    Regarding Antoine Walker and clutch freethrows, NBA.COM included the
following "highlights":

-Hit the game-winning free throw with 5.4 seconds left, totaling 25
points, 11 rebounds and 3 assists, in a 102-101 win over the Portland
Trail Blazers on 3/1

-Registered a game-high 28 points, hitting the game-winning free-throw
with 16.1 seconds left, and 13 rebounds in a 97-96 win over the L.A.
Clippers on 2/13

    While I agree that Walker didn't exactly "play within himself" (to
put it mildly) for most of last season, I can see nothing much wrong
with him in the "clutch" department. Let's face it, every player on the
opposing teams knew that 'Toine would shoot those last-second
game-winning shots he buried in their faces last year. And let's face
it, you simply can't make the "clutch" claim about 80% of the fancy
go-to-scorers and superstars in the NBA. That's what makes Bird, MJ and
Reggie Miller stand out.

    IMO Antoine Walker is a furious player, he is driven by furies to
beat the living crap out of the Fakers (hey, look at his Bird-like
numbers against them last year) and everyone else who thinks they are so
slick and cool and established. As far as I'm concerned, you'd want
"Driver 8" in big games like nearly none other. All our kid has to do is
start playing within himself again, just as he has all his life before
last season.

Go Celts,

Joe Hironaka