I'm curious about that league too, although I have to say I would rather
there was a professional developmental league akin to minor league
baseball.  If you ask me, major college athletic programs are
professional already.  Considering that the scholarships athletes are
given are worth, what 20, 30 grand a year or more at some schools.
Consider that the athletes often couldn't come close to fulfilling the
entrance requirements at these schools, it seems that they are simply
being paid to play sports.

I don't know much about the CBA, but you don't seem to get players with
NBA potential heading there straight from high school as an alternative
to college.  That's too bad, in my opinion.  I think minor league
baseball helps ensure that the players are much better grounded in the
fundamentals than in basketball.  Just think how much better prepared
players would be if they were playing professionally for a few years
before entering the NBA.  Of course, if a player had the aptitude and
desire to attend college, that road would still be open to him.

As far as it being surprising that many of the draftees didn't know the
lockout was coming, I agree.  They would only have had to watch
Sporstcenter to find out, and I'm sure most of them did that.  I expect
they did know and this is some kind of a bargaining ploy by the union.
Get people to feel sorry for the rookies who had other options for this
year.  Of course they knew there would be a lockout.  They chose to come
out anyway.

Jim

>Date: 16 Sep 98 09:45:31 -0800
>From: Peter Delevett <pdelevett@sjbj.com>
>To: Jim Meninno <jim_meninno@hotmail.com>
>CC: Celtics <Celtics@igtc.com>
>
>         Reply to:   Re: The Boston Celtics Mailing List Digest V5 #314
>That's a good point, Jim. That's why it will be interesting to see what
happens with this new "Collegiate Professional Basketball League" or
whatever it's called. I'm not (in this instance, at least) questioning
anybody's decision to skip out on college for the NBA, but I AM saying
that any player who didnt expect there to be a lockout must be
spectacularly unaware.