In a message dated 9/15/98 5:28:44 PM Central Daylight Time, tjoyce@mit.edu
writes:

>  I guess it's a natural inclination to go for the money, but geesh, if only
>  they knew that that is exactly what turns people off about sports. The
>  classy guy would say, "I don't like to talk about money....that's the end
>  result of something I love to do anyway....something I wouldn't do for
>  free, but I'm not doing it to get rich either."

        You got that right, Theresa.  And what irritates me even more is when
the money issue becomes a cause celebre.  I don't care if a player wants 12
mil instead of 10 mil.  Hammer that out with management and tell the public
that you're engaged in negotiations.   What matters to me is, for example,
whether the Celtics sign Walker.  I don't care what the numbers are, just the
result.  But this is consistent with my dislike of the labor-management
process we have, where it appears to be mandatory to make outrageous demands
and then insult everyone who ever worked for or with those on the other side
of the table.
       Man, do we need some basketball news around here...