No Subject

I was reading an article on ESPN.com about the NYC charity game Kenny A played in, but it didnt mention how he played or for how long. Anybody happen to go, or hear how he looked?

I also thought I'd share these comments from the story, which was based on some reporter asking Garnett if he felt responsible for the lockout since it was his contract that the league keeps pointing to as a symbol of the salary structure gone awry:

"Owners have argued that teams will not be able to keep all of their best players if they are expected to give Garnett-like contracts to their stars. They have proposed a new collective bargaining agreement that would include a maximum salary tied to 30 percent of the salary cap, which would translate to about $10 million for the upcoming season."

To me, this seems like a reasonable idea.
"Owners claim a maximum salary would leave more money for the so-called middle class, but the union says such a system would perpetuate the current problem of a few players splitting the vast majority of the money."

HUH? How can the union claim that??

And now, get Garnett's response:

"I understand them trying to even it out for everybody, young and old, but to put a top on it, that's  not right," said Garnett. He also said "it's unfair to put any kind of a (maximum salary) on players."

Would he feel that way if he were the 8-year veteran making league minimum because the owner had zero cap room left after cutting a fat check to a young wonderboy?

Garnett also had the gall to claim he'd play for free because he love sthe game so much. Puh-leeze. I wonder, how much of that $20 mil a year is he planning in giving to charity?

Lest Noah or others bash me as too anti-union, I will say I agree with this comment Ray Allen made:
"It's not like he put a gun to anyone's head and said give me this much money. That's what they agreed to pay him and that's definitely what they thought he was worth."
In theory, the owners should have the sack to tell players where to stuff their exorbitant salary demands, as Herb Kohl said to Glenn Robinson a few years ago. But when your deep-pocketed competitors are able & willing to shell out exorbiatnt sums, it makes it tougher for an owner to stick to his guns and risk losing his fan base because he can't field a competitive team.