Mercer and Pierce.

First what is more important in your Walker and Mercer debate is who wants
to play for the Celtics?
Walker is multifaceted and no one can say he isn't one of the top players in
the NBA.  But......Pitino made him, he gave him the green light to do
whatever he pleased.  He wasn't as prolific when we had Eric Williams and
Radja taking the big shots too.  Pittino made him by making him the focus.
Mercer will flourish in the same role if he is made the "man".  Mercer
shoots for a higher percentage and can jump through the roof.  Pierce is
going to be the steal of the draft.  He was training with Magic and Magic
came away impressed.  Pierce is the goods.  So because Walker was the focus
of Pittino's system, he was the main man on the Celtics and put up all-star
stats.  Make Mercer that guy along with Pierce and they'll more than make up
for Walker's offensive capabilities.  Walker is the superior rebounder and
passer , but not shooter.  Now if we were lucky enough to have gotten
Duncan, he wouldn't have been in the limelight that he had last year.  We'd
be drooling over the savior of the Celtics "Duncan".  Walker was in the
right place at the right time.  He took too many shots not to score that
much.  But he is a hell of a player.  If Walker wants to walk what can we
do?  I'd personally like to see him stay.  The nucleus is shaping up just
fine.  But if one had to go, I'd keep Mercer because he likes being a Celtic
and is humble,  this guy is going to be better than Reggie Lewis and
everyone was raving about Reggie.
Pierce will be another Glen Rice.  For those who support getting Perdue,
forget it.  Don't stockpile players we have to pay for and then be stuck
with because they don't produce like Pervis.

Gene (West Coast Celtic)