Peter Vecsey: Lockout Settlement Next Week

Fits right in with my predictions...

                           [New York Post]
                                SPORTS

                      LOCKOUT SETTLEMENT SHOULD COME NEXT WEEK

                    By PETER VECSEY
                    JUST when I thought David Stern was about
                    to start holding tryouts to fill the
                    league's 29 rosters, sanity has suddenly
                    surfaced on both sides of the collective
                    bargaining table frequented by our favorite
                    millionaires and billionaires.

                    Out of nowhere - after months of failing to
                    communicate, and being acutely understood -
                    the league and union rinsed the dirty label
                    hard cap out of their mouths and
                    established a feasible (luxury tax and
                    escrow) framework that finally allows them
                    to concentrate on the simple crux of the
                    matter; what percentage of
                    basketball-related income will both
                    partners pocket annually in a new five-year
                    collective bargaining agreement.

                    According to significant sources familiar
                    with both camps, It's now about the deal.
                    We're negotiating money.

                    Are Stern and Billy Hunter, executive
                    director of the Players Association close
                    to reaching an arrangement that would end
                    the lockout? No, although instincts tell me
                    otherwise. But at least they appear to be
                    speaking the same coherent, unspoken
                    language.

                    It's not what they're saying; it's what you
                    know they're thinking, a league source
                    underlined. Each side knows where all this
                    is leading.

                    A distanced yelp, clearly, from where the
                    situation was mired in the muck earlier
                    this week. I was convinced the only reason
                    the league and the union submitted to
                    negotiate for more than a fleeting moment
                    was because their shameful inactivity was
                    making the fans hostile. Never
                    underestimate the power of public
                    perception.

                    Furthermore, it's remarkable once the
                    spewing stops, and the exhausted propaganda
                    machines grind to a halt, how quickly
                    conversation can turn to compromise. Before
                    you know it, you know what's good for you
                    and you've got a settlement.

                    Far be it from me to overreact by such a
                    swift turn of events, but I'm no longer
                    taking seriously Stern's threat to cancel
                    the season past November. Moreover, I'm
                    predicting an agreement on how the wealth
                    should be shared within the week. Its
                    momentum should be enough to steamroll the
                    talks and sweep up the remaining issues in
                    the subsequent 48 hours and the season
                    should begin on Dec. 1.

                    And you can quote me. In fact, I'm so
                    confident the league and the union have
                    figured out it might be in their best
                    interest to stage a season after all, this
                    space officially is breaking into a notes
                    column for the first time since late June.
                    Which gives me the opportunity to zero in
                    on one of Hunter's more ludicrous stances
                    of late.

                    Looking to poison the atmosphere between
                    the players and the networks (NBC and
                    Turner Sports) that televise the games,
                    Hunter has raised the possibility they
                    might not make themselves accessible for
                    interviews.

                    Why would the players threaten to bite the
                    media that feeds them and their descendants
                    into the hereafter? Because the networks
                    are being branded by Hunter and Patrick
                    Union as partial toward the owners who are
                    being paid during the lockout whereas the
                    players aren't getting a cent.

                    Naturally, the networks have no choice but
                    to pay the owners. The stipulation is part
                    of the new four-year deal signed last
                    season. The fact is, had NBC and Turner not
                    met that condition, they wouldn't have
                    gotten the deal, a league source revealed.

                    Of course, what Hunter and Patrick Union
                    conveniently don't discuss is that the
                    owners must repay the networks before the
                    contract runs out, and they're not waiting
                    until the last year, either.

                    Oh, yeah, and by the way, you don't have to
                    be a math major to figure out the players
                    ultimately will benefit the most from the
                    networks' billion dollar deal.

                    Clearly, Hunter is merely trying to make a
                    deal and will use anything at his disposal
                    to gain some sort of leverage or put some
                    kind of pressure on the league. As if Stern
                    and the owners are going to buckle on
                    critical economic issues on the chance the
                    players won't make themselves available to
                    the networks.

                    It's almost as if Patrick Union, infamous
                    throughout his career for being
                    uncooperative with the media, has broken
                    the food chain. He doesn't seem to mind
                    harvesting the fruits of those who made the
                    league the success it is. The question is,
                    when does Patrick Union replant? WHEN all
                    is said and done, the players will gladly
                    agree to include the testing (and
                    subsequent punishment if caught dabbling)
                    for marijuana, steroids, speed, any and all
                    illegal substance the league stipulates ...
                    Look for the Celtics to deal Antoine Walker
                    to the Heat for Jamal Mashburn and P.J.
                    Brown as soon as the stalemate gets
                    resolved.

                    The bad news if the lockout turns into a
                    lost season: There's sure to be a baby boom
                    nine months from now. The good news? The
                    2017 draft should be exceptional.

                    A sign that the NBA might be dropping out
                    of the public consciousness. Nike's new
                    sneaker is called Air Glenn.