Peter May: Zero Progress - Sides Miles Apart

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                NBA talks get nowhere

                                Players, management meet, but no progress is evident

                                By Peter May, Globe Staff, 10/29/98

                                 [Image]EW YORK - On the sidewalk outside the Sheraton Towers and Hotel, they
                                        stood with their signs and their donation boxes. They rang bells. They
                                solicited passersby. They called themselves the Fans Union.

                                Their mission: Help the needy. The needy? The NBA players.

                                There was no avoiding the irony. Inside that hotel, around 85 NBA players -
                                including the supernova himself, Michael Jordan, and a few score more
                                millionaires - were having their first clear-the-air discussion with owners
                                and NBA executives since the league-imposed lockout started taking games from
                                the schedule and money from their pockets.

                                The 90-minute session was animated and heated at times. Jordan asked the first
                                question - he wanted to know why franchise fees keep rising if the owners are
                                suffering - and then had a prickly conversation with Washington owner Abe
                                Pollin. (We can see it now: ''Jordan Scores 65 In Win Over Wizards.'')

                                When the meeting concluded, the players did a collective shrug and reaffirmed
                                their solidarity.

                                ''I didn't see it as any kind of give-and-take,'' said Armon Gilliam. ''We
                                offered a couple concessions. They stayed rigid. They're anticipating that
                                we'll cave in.''

                                Well, the NBA did make some concessions. When pressed by Steve Kerr about some
                                of the more onerous clauses in their dreaded Sept. 24 proposal, deputy
                                commissioner Russ Granik quickly said those were now off the table. But the
                                owners also offered up a new salary structure, which would mean that Antoine
                                Walker would be eligible to make ''only'' $7.8 million after his original
                                Celtics contract expires.

                                The sides resumed negotiations at 5 p.m. and continued past midnight at a
                                Manhattan law office, according to the Associated Press.

                                As for the Celtics, they have now lost 13 games, including three sure wins at
                                the FleetCenter: Vancouver, Golden State, and Toronto. If the season began
                                Dec. 1, another unlikely scenario, they would open with a three-game trip in
                                Texas.

                                Yesterday's events began with the NBA Board of Governors authorizing the
                                cancellation of the final two weeks of November. Commissioner David Stern,
                                Granik, and six grim-faced governors then met reporters to deliver the
                                expected news. Granik said there would be no more such announcements, that one
                                could assume that for every week without a deal, another week of games goes by
                                the board. Stern said the players lose $100 million every time they miss their
                                paychecks, most of which come twice a month.

                                That did not seem to faze the union. Executive director Billy Hunter said, ''I
                                don't think our players feel any greater pressure with the cancellation of
                                games in November.'' But he also said he thought the union's strength, along
                                with pressure from the NBA's two broadcast benefactors, would help the league
                                to soften its stance.

                                ''I don't think NBC and TNT will stand by and not have a season,'' Hunter
                                said.

                                Jordan, who spoke to reporters before the meeting, said he thought the owners
                                should look in the mirror if their costs are rising.

                                ''If the owners are paying that kind of money, evidently, they feel they can
                                [afford] it,'' he said. ''If that's jeopardizing their profit margin, that's
                                the choice they're making. We're not doing it. Yet we're paying the price
                                because their profit margin wasn't what it once was. It wasn't because we paid
                                ourselves. They paid the athlete what they thought he was worth.''

                                Union attorney Jeffrey Kessler said there had been a ''conceptual agreement''
                                on how the impasse might be settled. But he added that the sides are miles
                                apart on how to close the deal, a sentiment echoed by former Celtic Rick Fox.

                                ''It could be the Grand Canyon,'' he said, ''but there's $2 billion there to
                                cushion the fall.''

                                He was referring to the total revenue intake by the league.

                                The league, which also canceled a Dec. 12 game in Mexico City between the
                                Clippers and Spurs, is fixated on bringing salaries in line with revenues. The
                                former is outpacing the latter at an alarming rate, according to the league.
                                The NBA is proposing various vehicles to slow salary growth, none of which,
                                unsurprisingly, is appealing to the players.

                                ''Right now we're driving a car,'' said union president Patrick Ewing. ''They
                                want us to go back to horse and buggy.''

                                Stern hinted that perhaps some of the lost games might be rescheduled, saying
                                there were ways to be creative and imaginative in fashioning a new deal. That
                                came in response to a question concerning a drop-dead date for flushing the
                                entire season down the drain. He didn't elaborate.

                                This story ran on page E01 of the Boston Globe on 10/29/98.
                                © Copyright 1998 Globe Newspaper Company.