                         commissioner David Stern yesterday
                         canceled all NBA games through Nov.
                         The announcement brought the
                         total number of games that will be
                         missed to 194 -- with more on the
                         horizon, possibly the remaining
                         995, if a deal isn't struck within
                         a month.

                       Stern wiped the remaining 95 games of November
                       off this season's schedule because of the
                       owners' inability to reach an agreement with the
                       National Basketball Players Association. The
                       new, widely anticipated cancellations came 15
                       days after the league announced the loss of 99
                       games to open the season.

                       "We reluctantly concluded that it was certainly
                       not going to be possible to play any games in
                       the month of November," deputy commissioner Russ
                       Granik said.

                       "And we don't see any point in making further
                       announcements about our schedule until we either
                       make a deal or cancel the season entirely,"
                       Stern added.

                       The league refused to give a drop-dead date for
                       when the season would be canceled.

                       Immediately after the news conference, Stern
                       accepted an invitation from the union to meet
                       with the players and address their concerns. He
                       went upstairs to do so, accompanied by several
                       owners from his Labor Relations Committee.

                       Stern promised to listen to the players'
                       proposals, hear their gripes and explain the
                       rationale of the owners -- who thus far have
                       refused to accept a collective-bargaining
                       agreement that would give players what they
                       earned in Basketball Related Income (BRI) last
                       season -- 57 percent -- or what they covet now
                       -- 63 percent.
                       Minutes before meeting with the players, Stern
                       reminded everyone that the players have now lost
                       28 days and over $200 million in salaries. But
                       he did leave open a window of opportunity in the
                       process, terming "possible" the make up of lost
                       games.

                       Stern didn't elaborate on whether that meant
                       extending the season through late June or having
                       a more densely scheduled season that ends, as it
                       typically does, in April.

                       "I don't think our players feel any greater
                       pressure because they elected to cancel
                       November," said Billy Hunter, executive director
                       of the players association.
                       "We've attempted to put proposals on the table
                       we think will move us closer to getting a deal.
                       There's no question there's an economic impact
                       that our players have to feel, but it's not
                       one-sided.

                       Several owners, including Gordon Gund
                       (Cleveland), Abe Pollin (Washington), Jerry
                       Colangelo (Phoenix), Les Alexander (Houston),
                       and Peter Holt (San Antonio), tried to get that
                       message across to the players yesterday. But
                       after Michael Jordan asked them a question a
                       half hour into the meeting, the owners failed in
                       that regard.

                       Jordan, who flew into New York on his private
                       jet with Chicago Bulls' teammates Scottie Pippen
                       and Ron Harper, reportedly asked Pollin: "If
                       teams are doing so badly and the league is
                       losing money, why are the values of franchises
                       going up?"

                       Jordan offended the owners present by suggesting
                       that Pollin should sell his team if he couldn't
                       make a profit with it. According to one player
                       who preferred to remain anonymous, Pollin
                       fumbled over his own words, then nearly ignited
                       an uproar with his response:

                       "Look, you just have to trust us!"

                       He was then interrupted by Stern, who further
                       upset numerous players by not allowing Pollin,
                       the league's senior owner of 35 years, to
                       continue.

                       "Everybody assumes that because you're an
                       athlete, that you can't be sophisticated, you
                       can't be enlightened, you can't be
                       business-like, you don't have any kind of
                       insight," Hunter added. "And what happens is
                       that you can't take guys who, as well-paid and
                       as skilled and as competitive as our ball
                       players are, and expect that they're not going
                       to apply that same kind of acumen when it comes
                       to conducting business. You can't talk to them
                       like they're some dumb jock."

                       At the moment, neither side has discussed a hard
                       cap. And although they won't confirm it, a
                       skeleton of a deal is being discussed that
                       entails a luxury tax and the use of the Larry
                       Bird Exception (which allows teams to exceed the
                       cap to pay their own players).

                       Three weeks ago, the players proposed that a 50
                       percent tax be levied on the amount of any
                       player's salary that exceeds $18 million in one
                       season. The owners countered with a 50-to-200
                       percent tax getting tagged onto any contract
                       exceeding the league average ($2.6 million).

                       "We're nowhere right now," Stern added. "We
                       wouldn't be here today if [ the players' BRI ]
                       hadn't exceeded the trigger of 52 percent. This
                       is not an enterprise that the owners have
                       lightly undertaken . . .

                       "We're down to 142 days in the season. . . .
                       that means our existing format would be down to
                       68 games. We want a deal . . . a fair one."

                       Before the 20-member players committee left for
                       a 5 p.m. meeting with the league's labor team,
                       they discussed television's role --
                       specifically, the role of NBC and Turner
                       Broadcasting -- in this near four-month lockout.

                       Hunter pointed to the $2.64 billion deal the
                       networks signed with the NBA -- money guaranteed
                       in the event of a lockout -- and the effect it
                       could have on reaching a resolution.

                       "I looked in the business section of the paper
                       and saw that NBC was having some significant [
                       financial ] problems themselves," Hunter said.
                       "So I don't think that NBC-TNT will stand by and
                       let there not be a season."

                         ©1998 Philadelphia Newspapers Inc.