free agents

To some extent, the pay them and they will come school is accurate.
The celtics have never had the kind of money to compete for the big
FAs, and ML Carr outbid himself for the services of Dana, et al.
Occasionally, a superstar who can get top dollar anywhere in the
league will choose to play in Pheonix for the climate or LA/NY for the
pub, but generally money talks and bullshit walks.