No Subject

Just a minor point.  A lot of people make the point that the Celtics
essentially traded Eric Williams for Walter McCarty.  However, because
of John Thomas' involvement in the Anderson trade, the deal becomes
Williams, Dee Brown and the #3 pick for McCarty, Kenny, Dontae Jones and
Popeye Jones, if we want him.

How you feel about this depends a lot on how you felt about Chauncey and
whether you think Kenny's going to work out in the long term.
Personally, I think Kenny will be a great pg for this team and I'm
hopeful that Popeye will be signed and serve as a defensive and
rebounding stud off the bench.  You also get a versatile reserve forward
in McCarty.  That sounds like a pretty good trade to me.

Eric Williams is a decent player, but he ain't cheap (what did Denver
end up paying him?).  The Celtics wouldn't have been able to keep him
next year anyway.  Pitino's knock on him was that he was not getting
into condition in the off season, and then he gets injured in, what, the
fourth game of the season.  Coincidence?  Not necessarily.  Hey, good
luck to Eric, I hope things work out for him, but he was certainly not
the answer to the Celtics problems.

Jim

>Date: 05 Oct 98 10:53:12 -0800
>From: Peter Delevett <pdelevett@sjbj.com>

>Then again, I would never have cut loose Wesley & Fox to go after
Knight ... or, especially, have traded Eric Williams for two #2 picks to
end up with McCarty.