The Players are NOT the product

>Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 09:57:24 -0900
>To: celtics@igtc.com
>Subject: Re: Prediction and url

>>The players have none of the risk, but
>>get 52% of the revenues.  Pretty damn good deal.  Think GM will
>>agree to a contract like that?
>
>I don't know....but if GM had just spent the past decade marketing >the
guy at the spot welder and he was the product instead of cars I
>think we'd have a better analogy.

Here's a cliche that is often used to justify player's enormous
salaries, that doesn't hold water with me.  The argument generally goes
that sports labor negotiations are entirely different from other
business' because the players ARE the product.  The person making this
point usually smiles smugly as if he has just uttered some undeniable
truth.  Often I can actually hear them smiling smugly, even though I am
only listening to them on sports radio.

In fact, the NBA, like all professional sports, is simply a service
industry.  You don't go down to the Fleet Center and buy Antoine Walker.
You don't even rent him for a couple of hours.  You go and pay a company
for whom he is employed to perform a service (ie. play basketball
competitively), the same as paying a guy to clean your pool, or change
your oil.  You expect this company to do two things.  To entertain you
and to represent your city in a competition against the evil and
loathsome parts of the country (such as Los Angeles).  If the company
stops performing the service well, you will stop using them (ie. being
their fan).

The only reasons that athletes are worth more than pool guys, is that
many fewer of them can service many more customers.  There aren't that
many people around who can play basketball at the level of the NBA.
And, a lot of people care more about whether Boston beats LA than
whether their pool sparkles or their pistons are suffering undue wear
and tear.

Those are all perfectly valid reasons why players should, and do, make a
lot of money.  It does NOT mean that they are the product.  It does NOT
mean that they are divinely entitled to 60% of basketball revenues, as
well as travelling expenses.  There are an extremely limited number of
players who can truly be said to have marketed the league.  I'm thinking
of the Jordans, Birds and Magics of the league.  These people perform a
duel role by assuming PR responsibilities and have a right to ask to be
compensated accordingly.  But that still does not make them the product
and it has no bearing on what the vast majority of anonymous,
interchangeable players deserve to earn.

Jim