Playing Stall Ball

                                          November 27, 1998

                            Each side says other is playing stall-ball

                                          by Phil Jasner
                                     Daily News Sports Writer

                          If the NBA intends to wage psychological
                          warfare to force a new collective bargaining
                          agreement, the National Basketball Players
                          Association and the agents representing the
                          players have vowed to not let them win.

                          This does not mean the owners are doing it,
                          but it does mean the players believe they
                          are. In turn, it also means that until at
                          least January, no games will be played. And
                          perhaps none at all.

                          "Obviously, what they're doing is
                          stonewalling, hoping the players at some
                          point will break," agent Bill Strickland
                          said. "It's as if they're not quite ready to
                          negotiate. You can't just say take it or
                          leave it."

                          The players flatly refused what they viewed
                          as a three-pronged ultimatum Tuesday from
                          deputy commissioner Russ Granik. When union
                          executive director Billy Hunter rejected what
                          he termed the preconditions to convene a
                          full-scale collective bargaining session
                          tomorrow, Granik said there was no reason to
                          meet.

                          Hunter said the preconditions included
                          acceptance of a specific percentage split of
                          total revenue, timing rules on the signing of
                          free agents and the specifics of a proposed
                          escrow and tax system. The timing rules would
                          allow teams to go over the salary cap to
                          re-sign their own free agents or sign free
                          agents from other teams, but not both.

                          "I think you have to go ask general managers
                          who have to put players on the floor what
                          they think about [ the timing issue ] ," said
                          Strickland, who represents, among others,
                          former Simon Gratz High star Rasheed Wallace.

                          "They're in a situation where they have to
                          win or be fired, and the league's proposal
                          would mean no movement [ of free agents ] ,
                          which flies in the face of attempts at parity
                          or competitiveness."

                          With the first eight weeks of the season
                          wiped off the books, there would appear to be
                          less and less chance of any type of
                          compressed schedule. Earlier in the week, the
                          league canceled the two games scheduled for
                          Christmas on NBC. The games were the first
                          scheduled for NBC as part of a four-year
                          contract with that network and Turner
                          Broadcasting. Even with the lockout, which
                          has been in place since July 1, the owners
                          are receiving their TV money, but will have
                          to make restitution in money or scheduling in
                          the fourth year.

                          "The only conclusion I can arrive at is,
                          they're trying to play head games, mind games
                          with the players," Hunter said. "It's sort of
                          a whipsaw [ effect ] . You get the players'
                          expectations up, then, boom, you snatch the
                          rug out and you start all over again."

                          Jeffrey Mishkin, the league's chief legal
                          officer, said the owners were told that the
                          players would not negotiate a revenue split
                          below last season's figure of 57 percent,
                          that they had rejected the timing proposal as
                          non-negotiable and that the agreement on the
                          owners' escrow proposal had been withdrawn.
                          The owners most recently reportedly offered
                          slightly more than 52 percent.

                          "In light of the union's positions, we fail
                          to understand Mr. Hunter's new assertion that
                          the NBA is issuing ultimatums and hindering
                          the negotiations," Mishkin said. "The union
                          leadership continues to make a mockery of the
                          collective bargaining process at a tragic
                          economic cost to its members."

                          The players have forfeited nearly $250
                          million in salaries from what was expected to
                          be $2 billion in revenue. They were paid $1
                          billion in salaries last season from a pool
                          of slightly more than $1.7 billion.

                          Hunter made it clear he hoped a
                          teleconference Wednesday with about four
                          dozen reporters would create a groundswell of
                          pressure from the media, the public and the
                          TV networks to help force an agreement.

                          At the same time, he said he did not believe
                          commissioner David Stern would declare an
                          impasse. But Hunter also said the league was
                          not negotiating in good faith.

                          "The idea has been an attempt to raise and
                          dash expectations in an effort to weaken our
                          players' resolve, so that we'll agree to
                          their demands and thereby destroy all the
                          efforts that we've made thus far," Hunter
                          said.

                          Hunter said the union's negotiating team,
                          including 24 players, was prepared to meet
                          tomorrow, Sunday and Monday if necessary. And
                          despite all the rhetoric from both sides to
                          the contrary, he said: "We're not really that
                          far apart. I'm convinced we can get a deal if
                          they want one."

                          Asked how he thought the roughly 400 members
                          of the union would vote in a closed ballot on
                          the league's latest effort, he said, "I
                          wouldn't present it, so there's not going to
                          be a vote. I'm not going to address the
                          hypothetical."

                          "It's quite apparent that we cannot negotiate
                          against ourselves, and obviously we're not
                          going to negotiate with a gun to our head,
                          nor are we going to accept a bad deal after
                          being locked out for almost six months," he
                          said.

                          "I was prepared to try to sell a deal to my

                          players [ last Friday night ] , and they knew
                          the numbers, because I gave it to them. They
                          told me it couldn't happen or wouldn't
                          happen."

                          Hunter said agents David Falk and Arn Tellem
                          were continuing to work on an exhibition game
                          that could be played about Dec. 12, matching
                          players from Dream Teams I and II, presumably
                          in Las Vegas. The Miami Heat's Tim Hardaway
                          has announced a Dec. 4 game at Miami-Dade
                          (Fla.) Community College. The union, though,
                          is prohibited under an events agreement with
                          the league from directly staging
                          basketball-related activities.

                          So what will Hunter do now?

                          "What I'll do," he said, "is wait."