Re: Prediction and url

-----Original Message-----
From: R. Bentz Kirby <bocelts@scsn.net>
To: Gregory Hurst <gh18@juno.com>; Boston Celtics <celtics@igtc.com>
Date: Thursday, November 26, 1998 12:42 PM
Subject: Re: Prediction and url

>The Players aren't giving in!  The owners have offered them 52% of
>revenues.  The players have no capital invested, yet are guaranteed more
>of the money than the owners.  Additionally, all their travel, meals,
>etc etc has to be paid by the owners out of their 48% stake.  Plus other
>expenses and operating costs.  The players have none of the risk, but
>get 52% of the revenues.  Pretty damn good deal.  Think GM will agree to
>a contract like that?

This is an excellent point Bentz.  I agree that the fans come to see the
players perform, but the owners do appear to be giving these employees more
than the average company would.

>Besides, the majority of the players will not benefit from the issues
>that are being fought over now, the Larry Bird exeception and free
>agency rules.  I suspect that the majority of the players are deferring
>to MJ etc, and are not really behind what is going on.  If they are,
>they are misinformed.

I think the majority of the players feel just like John Stockton and Tim
Legler, but are fearful of being honest because of the power of Jordan,
Ewing, Malone etc.  These players, although they say in front of the camera,
that they are concerned with what's fair, need to consider the rookies who
are teetering on the brink right now, wondering if they have made the proper
decision.  Players like Paul Pierce who said if he had known this was about
to happen, he'd have stayed in school.

I personally question Billy Hunter's capacity for negotiating because my
advice would be to accept what is being proposed on an interim basis and
hammer the rest out while the season is being played, without the presence
of the *stars* influencing his every move.  If this is really the cause of a
season to be lost, how can anyone blame the owners who are willing to give
up 52%?  I have not always been in their corner and part of me can't believe
my fingers are typing this, but they seem to be playing fairly IMHO.

Cecil