Back To Square One

                                          November 25, 1998
                               No Christmas cheer in NBA this season

                                          by Phil Jasner
                                     Daily News Sports Writer

                          The NBA's Christmas Day games on NBC weren't
                          the only thing that came apart at the seams
                          yesterday.

                          Now, no one can even be sure Saturday's
                          scheduled bargaining session between the
                          league and the National Basketball Players
                          Association will take place in New York.

                          The meeting's status became more than a
                          little tenuous when NBPA attorney Jeffrey
                          Kessler informed deputy commissioner Russ
                          Granik by telephone the union "misunderstood"
                          the league's escrow proposal and was
                          withdrawing its agreement from Friday to a
                          key element of that proposal.

                          Kessler said the union never agreed to the
                          league's plan that called for the players to
                          contribute 15 percent of their salaries to an
                          escrow fund. If salaries exceeded an
                          agreed-upon limit, players would pay back $1
                          for every $1 above the trigger point and $2
                          for every $1 above the 15 percent.

                          The second level of payment would come from
                          the highest-spending teams.

                          "That discussion didn't fully take place on
                          Friday," Kessler said. "That was completely
                          unacceptable."

                          Granik said: "Regrettably, it appears that
                          any progress we thought we had made at our
                          last meeting was illusory. We no longer have
                          the framework for reaching a new agreement."

                          Kessler referred to the league's plan as
                          "punitive payments" and called Granik's
                          statement "a grandstanding operation,"
                          saying, "They want to negotiate in the
                          media."

                          The league, in a letter, asked union
                          executive director Billy Hunter whether any
                          basis remained for Saturday's meeting.

                          "The owners feel there's no point in having
                          anymore meetings right now," Granik said.

                          In a classic "He said, I said" response,
                          Kessler said: "It's not going to lead to a
                          deal, and that's very sad, because they're
                          playing with the lives of millions of people
                          and thousands of fans, and they don't care.
                          The players care, and we intend to be there
                          Saturday. We hope someone shows up from their
                          side."

                          Hunter echoed Kessler's remarks.

                          "If the NBA is serious about making a deal,
                          they should stop posturing and come to the
                          bargaining table this Saturday with the goal
                          of ending the lockout and saving the season,"
                          Hunter said.

                          Earlier yesterday, the league canceled the
                          Dec. 25 games matching the Chicago Bulls
                          against the New York Knicks and the Los
                          Angeles Lakers against the Phoenix Suns that
                          were to have been telecast on NBC.

                          Clearly, Granik wasn't kidding the other day
                          when he said, "Those games are virtually
                          gone, I think there's no chance we'll be
                          playing."

                          NBC instead will show "It's a Wonderful
                          Life," starring Jimmy Stewart.

                          NBC and Turner Broadcasting are paying the
                          league a combined $2.64 billion over four
                          seasons that went into effect this year. The
                          league is receiving payments in the midst of
                          the lockout, which has been in place since
                          July 1, but will have to make them up --
                          either in dollars or programming -- later on.

                          NBC spokesman Ed Markey said the network
                          would not comment. But if you have any hope
                          for the network telecasting games in the near
                          future, three regional games are on the
                          schedule Jan. 16, NBC's next scheduled date
                          to show games: New Jersey at New York, San
                          Antonio at Seattle and Phoenix at Utah.

                          So much for the flicker of hope that filtered
                          out of 10 hours of negotiating Friday.

                          The first eight weeks of the season have been
                          canceled, at a cost of more than $250 million
                          in players salaries. If there is to be any
                          semblance of a season, it wouldn't start
                          until at least sometime in January.

                          "The season is in grave danger," said Jeffrey
                          Mishkin, the league's chief legal officer.
                          "We are as far apart as we've ever been."

                                  ©1998 Philadelphia Newspapers Inc.