Phil Jasner: Talks Show Progress

                                          November 21, 1998

                           Movement is reported after talks go all day

                                          by Phil Jasner
                                    Daily News Sports Writer

                          Philosophical question: Can two groups talk
                          all day about finding a way to split $2
                          billion in revenue and get nowhere?

                          Answer: Probably not. Which means having
                          representatives of the NBA and the National
                          Basketball Players Association negotiate from
                          10:30 a.m. until about 11 p.m. should be
                          viewed as a good thing.

                          The two sides were locked in their first
                          full-scale collective bargaining session in
                          more than three weeks, searching for an
                          agreement that would end the lockout that has
                          been in place since July 1.

                          That it took all day?

                          "There's an old slogan -- the size of the
                          guillotine improves your hearing," NBA
                          commissioner David Stern said. "Maybe we hear
                          each other a little better, because the
                          guillotine is being sharpened . . . It's too
                          bad it has to come to this."

                          Did the owners threaten to walk out at one
                          point, as was rumored?

                          "I don't know if it was that dramatic,
                          though," said Orlando Magic free agent Danny
                          Schayes, one of about 20 players in
                          attendance.

                          The sides might communicate over the weekend,
                          but no formal talks were scheduled.

                          Stern, who met with reporters after the third
                          break of the day and again at the end of the
                          night, said there had been no acrimony. He
                          and deputy commissioner Russ Granik were
                          joined at the session by seven of the nine
                          members of the owners' labor relations
                          committee.

                          "The only raised voices have been in the
                          passion of the deal," Stern said, "and we'll
                          try to see if we can make progress. Everyone
                          seems determined to sit here and sit here and
                          sit here. I'd say there's been movement on
                          both sides."

                          A little levity?

                          "I think we're at a point where we'll just
                          arm-wrestle for it," Schayes said. "We're
                          thinking Antonio Davis [ of the Indiana
                          Pacers ] . We're trying to pick a right guy."

                          Somehow, they reached levels of discussion
                          that had escaped them in the past.

                          "Basically, all the time that passed kind of
                          brought everyone to their senses," said union
                          president Patrick Ewing, of the New York
                          Knicks. "We as players don't want the season
                          to be canceled and the owners don't want the
                          season to be canceled. We're trying to do the
                          best we can to make a deal that's fair for
                          both parties."

                          No formal talks were scheduled for the
                          remainder of the weekend, although Granik did
                          not rule out continuing communication and
                          also said next week's Thanksgiving holiday
                          "won't impede our progress."

                          "I can accurately represent that we made
                          progress, that each side reached out and
                          found some common ground," said Billy Hunter,
                          the executive director of the union. " . . .
                          You could say the idea of compromise is in
                          the atmosphere."

                          The league's offer to the players has
                          included a ceiling on how much each of the 29
                          teams can spend and a similar ceiling on the
                          percentage any player can receive. Both sides
                          have offered widely varying escrow systems
                          designed to protect the owners if salaries
                          exceed an agreed-upon level.

                          "We're trying hard to reach out for each
                          other on both sides," Stern said. "I think
                          it's fair to say there's an evident spirit,
                          an attempt to reach on both sides. At the
                          same time, the owners and players are looking
                          at this entire situation from such a
                          different perspective that there's still a
                          very wide gulf for us to try to get across.
                          The encouraging thing is, we're trying."

                          Stern said it was hard to foresee a deal
                          being consummated during the weekend
                          communications, "but everyone is determined
                          to put in the time and see if we can somehow
                          by talking and pushing to narrow the gap or
                          come up with some new ideas. No one is
                          against some new ideas, but there are some
                          serious fundamental differences in the way
                          the two sides view the issues."

                          As the lockout enters its 144th day, the
                          first seven weeks of the season have been
                          canceled at a cost of more than $250 million
                          in players salaries. Stern, though, has
                          steadfastly refused to state a drop-date
                          after which the entire season would be
                          canceled.

                          The owners' overall offer has included a
                          50-50 split of revenues with a guaranteed
                          increase of at least 5 percent a year over
                          the next four seasons, an increase in
                          contracts for first-round draft choices from
                          three to four years with a right of first
                          refusal after the fourth, increases in
                          minimum salaries for veterans and an annual
                          salary cap exception that would be valued at
                          $1.5 million the first year and escalate to
                          the average league salary in the fourth.

                          Last night, the Associated Press, citing
                          sources it did not identify, said the owners
                          might move off their 50 percent figure and
                          players might move off their 60 percent
                          position.

                          The Larry Bird exception, which allows teams
                          to re-sign their free agents even if it means
                          going over the prescribed cap, would be
                          modified.

                            ©1998 Philadelphia Newspapers Inc.