Re: Another cap suggestion

My suggestion was not to give the teams right of first refusal.  Only to
allow them to match offers for their players.  The player could  opt to
go to either team, or even one offering less, but at least it wouldn't
be because his current team couldn't match his offer.  The players would
keep their free agency rights, the owners wouldn't have to over bid for
their players, in fact, they wouldn't be allowed to.  I think it would
stop all of this nonsense from the players saying they have been
disrespected because their owner didn't make a record breaking offer to
them a year ahead of their free agency.

Even still, I don't think the players would jump at this because they
have it so good now.  It doesn't infringe on their rights, but it takes
away a lot of their leverage.  I think it would have an extremely
limiting effect on top end salaries (nobody could offer Jordan 35
million as a free agent), but it would boost lower and middle range
salaries.  I think it's a reasonable solution for both sides.

Jim

>Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 09:53:01 -0500
>From: Adam Suchocki <asuchocki@wireless.tellabs.com>
>To: Celtics@igtc.com
>Subject: Re: Another cap suggestion
>
>Giving teams the right of first refusal on Bird Exemption players is >a
good idea, but it is something the union bargained to get rid of >two
collective bargaining agreements ago.