Re: Pierce to Atlanta?

As usual, I second Joe's emotion.  Although the trade king probably
got this from ESPN International or an opium dream (equally
authoritative sources) it's too good a deal to be true.  Even if
Pierce ended up as the best scoring 3 in the land, he'd still be less
valuable than the best defensive center in the land, now and forever.
Between his defense and his rebounding, adding Dikembe Mutumbo to the
Celtics would make us title contenders within two years.  All our
speed and scoring and pressing D would be backed up by a legit threat
in the lane, and mutumbo's 12+ rebounds a game would get our break
going.  It would really be something to seeing.  Too bad it will never
happen.

---j.hironaka@unesco.org wrote:

> Hi Warwick:
>
> May I ask where this rumour was reported?
>
> I don't know what the majority opinion is on our list, but I would do
> this trade in a heartbeat. A 6-7 forward  in the NBA today is "by
> definition" a defensive liability IMO, no matter how hard Paul
Pierce is
> willing to work. In exchange for Pierce and a probable non-lottery
first
> rounder, they'd get last season's NBA Defensive Player of the Year
(and
> All Interview Second Team to boot). Between Dikimbe and Antoine, you
had
> nearly 100 double-doubles last year. Although Dikimbe is
32-years-old, I