Re: Owners now the problem?

If 10% of the players are signed under the Bird Exception, that means
every team has one or two of them.  I'd say that's significant.  You
make a distinction between Bird Exception players and second year
extensions.  The problem is that it is exactly those players who are
being given the Bird Exception.  If it were only ever used on the
Jordans and Karl Malones of the league, then all would be right with the
world, we wouldn't be having this discussion and we would be watching
the Celtics right now (or at 7:05 tonight, anyway).

I'll accept your semantic point that what I am proposing is not a "hard
cap".  Actually, I guess it's not a cap at all.  Let's call it revenue
sharing, or some other warm fuzzy term.  The players are referring to
any system which limits *league* salaries to a fixed percentage of
revenues as a hard cap, even though rules may allow flexibility for the
teams.  I guess I got caught up in their propaganda.

Jim