Re: Peter May sez...

In a message dated 11/17/98 6:15:13 PM Central Standard Time,
damekmo@teleport.com writes:

> But...it's all about the money...right?
---- In Duncan's case, it wasn't about anything.  From what I understand, the
#1 pick's contract is pretty much set in stone.  And I don't blame him for not
wanting to be in Boston.  He's too immature to look five or eight years down
the road, when a team with him and Walker and Mercer might be a powerhouse.
My own attitude (and I have a very different one from a pro basketball
player!!!) is that I would want to be in on the ground floor of a future
dynasty, not the rookie on an aging one.
    As for other players, is it about the money?  For some, sure.  But Rick
Fox went to LA for "low pay" because of unspecified hopes and dreams and
promises; I bet Shaq came to LA because of the commercial possibilities.
Others would probably move across the country for an extra $100,000 on a five
million dollar contract.  I think all of us on this list tend to generalize a
lot about players, which is unfair.  For every Jordan, there are several Danny
Ainge-types, mid-level workers who work their butts off for "low pay" and
don't complain about it.  And Parish types - underpaid but apparently content
to be part of a great team.  And Bruce Bowen, quiet role players just happy to
be in the NBA.  There are the swagering, macho Walkers and the quiet DQs, well
aware of thier limitations and expectations.  Bravo to all of 'em.