Re: Next K. Gamble...

Woh Jaime!

Didnt know that some of the guys in this list are also interested in the
PBA.  You know dude, the reason why I dont miss the NBA that much
(though I terribly miss the C's)  coz we can still watch our own
league-which is already in the semifinal stage.  Also, the gearing up
for the Asian Games of the Centennial team is also somethin to look
forward to.

Anyway, goin back to Gamble, when he played here back in 88 for Anejo
Rhum, it was said that he was holdin back his game to avoid injuries and
so as not to jeopardize his return to the NBA.  I believe he only lasted
for only 6 games.  He was considered as a lemon of an import when he
played here thats why a lot of fans were surprised to find out that he
was able to re-enter the NBA via the C's at that!

As regards to Harris, I saw one game wherein he really played well for
the C's.  He signed  two 10-day contracts with Boston. I think that was
back in '95.  He scored in double figures in that game and around 4
assists.  Hes not really a scrub player but his orientation is not
suitable for a point guard since he has this shoot first mentality.
Also, Harris has an ego.  He does not want to undergo certain initiation
rites given to rookies/ CBAers. So there, he seldom gets called to the
NBA.  Latest is that he is gonna try out for the Bulls since Tim Floyd
is an acquaintance from his New Orleans days. *shrug*.  One thing that
you cannot take away from Harris is that he gives his all in every game.
Yeah hes got an attitude, but when it comes to pleasing the fans, no one
tops Harris.

FYI, a few imports who  also played for the C's.

Glenn McDonald
Terry Duerod
David Thirdkill
Ronnie Grandison
Kelvin Upshaw

Glenn McDonald was a fan favorite here...not only becoz of his game but
also due to his attitude...he was and still is well loved by Filipinos.

Terry Duerod played here for only one conference (about 3-4 months) and
he was so-so.  He was already in the twilight of his carreer then but he
still had a great shot from the long distance back in '86.

Thirdkill played here in '87 and '88.  Man, he was an all around import
and in both times he was able to lead his team to the Finals.  Winning
once.  Another import who is well missed by fans down here.  Btw, we
also called him 'The Sheriff' then.

Ronnie Grandison - 12th man off the bench in the C's 88-89 team.  Played
here in numerous occasions. 4 conferences I suppose.  Made his way back
in the NBA via the Knicks route after playin in the PBA.

Kelvin Upshaw- Played for two years with the C's in the late 80's.
Played behind DJ and Brian Shaw.  Was given a lifetime  ban bye  the PBA
due to substance abuse.

Michael Young (1st round pick of Boston in '83 or '84) also showed his
wares here.  He played here for two conferences and in fact, led his
team to the Finals twice, though he never won the championship.  Had the
reputation of a choker since he has this penchant for disappearing in
the last minutes of Games 6 and 7.

Anyone of you who remembers Billy Ray Bates who played for Portland in
the late 70's (Greg, you remember this guy?), he was a hella of a player
down here.  I would say he is the best import who ever made it down
here. He was known here as the 'Black Superman'.  Man he could do it
all! Was a master showman.  Dunks that were out of this world then were
showcased by Billy.  He also behaved well in his stay here.  A far cry
from his junkie rep in Portland.   One guy who is truly missed.

>Hello again Joe.  Actually there are already some american players
playing
>and has played in the PBA that had been called up by NBA teams
especially
>the Celtics.  But it wouldn't be as comparable as Kevin Gamble's
durability
>of stay inside the NBA.  As I recall, Tony Harris was called up to be
signed
>for the rest of the half season.  This Tony "Hurricane" Harris, as he
is
>called here in the Philippines once scored a 105 points in a single
game
>here despite the rough physical play in the PBA.  Well, I hope you can
>remember his play in celtic uniform despite playing only whenever it's
>blowout loss or win.  His career high in points there was 15 or 18
points.
>And I guess he average a little over 2 or 3 points a game.  So,
definitely,
>it's not comparable to Gamble's effectivity and dependability on the
>Celtics.
>
>Another and most recent call up was a player named Terquin Mott who
left
>while still under contract to play as he claimed that Pitino was to
work him
>out even if there is a lock out goin on.
>
>Well, there are still lots of american players playing here that still
has a
>chance of playing in the NBA.  Current imports that have potentials of
>getting back into the NBA:
>
>1. Lamont Strothers (this import can give mercer a run...)
>2.Donald Williams  (this guy's got the range and stroke...he can really
kill
>an opponent by his shooting touch!)
>3. Larry Robinson
>4.Lance Miller
>5.Rick Brunson (stocky pg and has the range and touch)
>6.David Booth
>7.Silas Mills (wow...a slick player...with all around skills)
>8.Chris King

*** Paul Graham - Atlanta '92/93 - playin in PBA as of present
*** Rodney Monroe - Atlanta '92/93 - played here for 3 conferences
*** Bob McCann Minnesota/ Bullets. - 3rd conference here

*** Lewis Lloyd - Houston (early to mid 80's)played against the C's in
the 86 Finals - played here for two conferences in the early 90's

*** Mitchell Wiggins - the hero for Houston in Game 3 or 4 of the 86
Finals with his last second basket.  Played here for a condference.

*** Wes Matthews - Laker guard behind Magic, Scott and Cooper in the
late 80's.  Played against the C's in the 87 Finals.  Suited up for one
conference, leading his team to a runner up finish.

*** Mike McGee- Laker 3point sniper in the 80's.  Already a spent rocket
when he made it down here.  Lasted for only 5 games in 93.

*** Leon Wood - Yeah the guard who competed with LB in the 3point shoout
and the FIRST recipient of LB's trash talkin/ conditioning the opponents
in the '85 shooutout. - played here for one conference.

*** Steve Colter - the Blazer guard who started with Clyde in the mid
80's.  Very decent on and off the court.  Limited talent though.  Played
in less than 10 games.

*** Steven Smith - yeah the former Arizona guard who is in the news
these  days due to the point shavin scandal also played here.  Also
nicknamed 'Hedake', he didnt show any any signs of misdemeanor while he
was around.

There are still a lot, but I know that am beginning to bore most of the
list members.  Sorry.....

>well, these are just some of the imports that have tihe capability of
going
>back and playing there in the NBA.  I guess our league, the Philippine
>Basketball Association is also a training ground for the NBA too.  A
league
>that is used to polish their skills some more and develop leadership
>qualities as they are the number one priority in every team here in
terms of
>shooting, rebounding, shot blocking, stealing...etc.

*** Well said...imports who played here developed leadership and gettin
used to the pressure of bein the go-to guy in the crunches.