Karl Malone

Karl Malone has indicated that he'll demand a trade from Utah
at the end of the lockout, preferably to the Lakers. You'd have
to think the Lakers could beat a Jordan Bulls team if they made
any deal that didn't give up Shaq.

But of course Walker (+junk?) for Malone has to be something to
consider at that point. I know everyone will scream about giving away
young talent for old... Yes Malone is 35. It seems most everyone on
this list in convinced that an NBA player's career is over at age
28 or 30 (Pippen, PJ Brown, and Mashburn are all being attacked for
this). Malone and Jordan are definitely counterexamples.

Malone is playing the best basketball of his life and is in tremendous
shape. How much longer could he play? Will he really expire in another
two years? BTW, could anyone post Kareem's stats when he was 35+? Or
anyone else who has played at a high level beyond age 35. I really
don't have a good idea of how fast a player's skills can erode at
that age...

If he can last for five more years I'd definitely consider it. I really
don't believe in the idea of growing a winning team over a ten year
period in the NBA anymore because of free agency, trades, salary caps,
etc. I feel like you have to try to win as fast as possible.

Alex