Comments and Contradictions

It's been a long while since I've posted, but after reading all the Celtics news, I thought I'd throw out a few observations and questions:

1. When did Antoine ask for 100 million dollars? - I've read many a comment from people here and sportswriters about how Antoine is demanding a 100 million dollar contract, and that's why he must be traded.  This is completely in conflict with league rules and statements made by Antoine himself.  League rules state no team may negotiate with a player still under his rookie contract until July after his second full season.  The lockout happened when it did specifically to avoid any player being elligible for negotiating or signing a new contract.  League rules were such that no team could even discuss new contract with players from Antoine's rookie class.  This rule has been stated in the Boston Globe, the Boston Herald, and the Sanfrancisco Gate (on-line) during last season.  Moreover, Antoine himself, in an interview with the Globe stated that he had never talked with any Celtic official about his next contract -
and to the best of his knowledge, neither had has his agent - because it was against league rules.  Back when Bob Ryan was pro-Antoine (in the middle of last season) - he stated that a source close to Antoine's family had stated that Antoine was willing to sign below market value to be with the Celtics (of course market value was probably Garnett numbers).  So where is all of this Antoine is demanding 100 million coming from?  Walker publicly stated he was upset about all of this talk about him being greedy, because he has made no contract demands, because its against league rules.  No, his agent may have made some veiled references to what the market looks like when dealing with Pitino - but that's a far cry from Walker is demanding 100 million so the Celtics have to trade him.  This has really looked like bad management from Pitino and company, in that all of this is public well before they were allowed to
negotiate with Walker.  They can't trade him immediately and claim it was because Walker was too greedy, because they haven't even had a chance to negotiate with him.

2. When did Walker become such a villan? - Like a lot of you, I've seen every single NBA game Walker has played in.  I've seen someone who is under 22 years old showing unbelievable skills, but at times behaving like a college a kid.  I've seen him lose his temper on bad calls, and I've seen him ignore bad calls.  I've seen him play like a veteran and I've seen him play selfishly.  But I've seen nothing to suggest that he has a worse affect on a team than any other 21 year old I've watched play the game.  As others have pointed out, he's still younger than Larry Bird was before Bird's first NBA game.  What has Walker done that you wouldn't expect to see from a college kid in the middle of a heated game?  Isn't maturity on the court something that all players learn as they grow older?  I remember Jordan having a very negative image early in his career (when the Bulls were bad and he had the audaciity to score lots
of points).  I remember Dennis Johnson being considered a cancer in the league even after he had won a title with Seattle.  I have not seen Walker get into fights on the court, say disrespectful things about opponents publicly, get involved with drugs or weapons, or refuse to run plays in the game.  The only thing I've seen that's threatening to others about him is that he takes winning far more seriously than 99% of the human race - he gets sky high when he wins a close game, and he gets very upset when he loses (kind of reminds me of a rookie Magic Johnson in the way he gets much more into the outcome of meaningless regular season games than most players do).  I'd always thought the players you had to watch out for wer the ones who seemed disinterested in the outcome of the game - the Chris Webber, Derrick Coleman, Joe Barry Carrol sort who could wow you with their skills, but who never played like it was
painful to lose.  I've seen a lot of players get mad at Walker because of his mouth and his intensity.  The mouth can be a problem, but how can you knock a guy for intensity.  And even the mouth part isn't a critical flaw - Bird, Jordan, Barkley, Payton, and Miller all have major mouths on them - and they managed to overcome it.

3. Does it really not matter to everyone that there is no NBA right now?  - All of these sports writers seem to have fallen in love with the concept of "What if there wasn't a season and nobody noticed," but I personally already miss it like crazy.  Sure, people on this list care a lot more about whether or not the Celtics play than does the average spectator, but everyone I've run into seems to be a little down about the lockout.  I haven't met one person who shares the view that nobody cares about the early season games.  Even the casual fans seem to miss the 2 minutes on the evening news that would have had NBA highlights.  Are there sports fans out there (who aren't paid to go to NBA games) who don't miss the games at all?

4. Finally, to wrap this up before I write more than anyone else feels like reading, anybody care to predict who will be the best pro players in five years out of the top 10 draft picks?

1. Michael Olowakandi:   Move him to much lower if he stays a clipper without a coach.  His mobility make him special.
2. Dirk Nowitzki: he's leading the German first division in scoring  and is second in rebounding and is only 18.  Last year he was a mediocre player in the German second division.  The guy is over 6'10" and has a great drive to the basket, 3 point range, and can rebound.  He reminds me a lot of Danny Manning or Billy Owens in terms of his physical tools.  If he has Manning knees or Owens head he'll be a bust.  Call me one of those who believes Pitino would have taken Nowitzki over Pierce.
3. Mike Bibby: seems that point guards with great skills always find a way to succeed (Stockton, Sherm, Bagley, Staudomire) regardless of size or foot speed.
4. Jason Williams: if he can avoid off court problems he could be a huge surprise, but he's a great example of why rookie contracts should be larger than 3 years - no one knows if he'll get his act together or not - but botht he skills and athleticism are there.
5. Paul Pierce: I hope he's this good or better.  His potential reminds me a lot of Adrian Dantley.  I'm worried about some of the off the court rumors - out of shape, bad shot selection, not clutch player, left scrimage game because he got mad about being banged in the low post.
6. Antawn Jamison: I hated watching him in college - great athleticism, great rebounder, no shooting skills.  One of the few players I've seen put the ball harder off the glass than Walker did as a rookie.  Still, his athleticism reminds me of Corliss Williamson - if he has the same desire he'll make it.
7. Vince Carter: He may prove me wrong, but it seems like anyone who leaves UNC early has major problems with their game.
8. Raef Lafrentz: I hope he does better just to prove all of the scouts wrong.  But something about his game always seemed soft to me.  He never seemed to want to take over with the game on the line.  Still, his size, mobility, and hands are all very good.
9. Larry Hughs: Can anyone be paired with Iverson in the backcourt and not have their game deteriorate?
10. Robert Traylor: I just don't believe an all hype under-achiever in college will suddenly turn into the next Charles Barkley.

Anyway, I'm dying for NBA talk,
Adam