Re: Bulpett: Teams Can Now Speak To The Players

Way Of The Ray wrote:

> >From Steve Bulpett's article in today's Boston Herald:
>
> "Playing on the belief that the union's rank and file has not been
> completely
> advised of what is on the table, Stern and Granik said that teams,
> previously
> prohibited from speaking with their players about the collective
> bargaining
> situation, will now be allowed to answer the questions of players they
> say are
> calling for information."

Hi Ray:

I wonder if this means the Pitino is also allowed to report to the media
about personnel matters. In some ways, I'm resigned to the fact that
Antoine and Pitino will bitterly part ways before the start of the
season. I just want Pitino to talk face to face with Antoine before
sealing a deal. Maybe something along the lines of:  "Like I've been
saying all year, Antoine, the only person in the league I'd consider
trading you for right now is MJ....or PJ.  Sorry I'm dyslexic."

Even more interestingly, Steve Bullpett also reported the following:

"The (Bird) exception for players with less than six years of experience
would be 25 percent of the cap, with 30 percent in years 6-9 and 35
percent beyond."

I guess that would mean Antoine would have to sign a four year contract
for 9 or 10 million per year. He'd then be up for his next big contract
when he's 26.  According to the article, ten year veterans like MJ and
Scottie could command 17.5 million next season. This all sounds
reasonable, but it must make Minnesota feel even more foolish for
splurging on Garnett. EVEN under the present CBA, I still can't see how
any other GM around the league would have been able to offer Garnett 60%
of their cap or whatever. It's totally crazy. Garnett's agent took the
T-wolves for a ride. Now kids like Marbury, Shareef and Antoine are
going to feel they are "getting below market value", as stupid as that
sounds. But I still think the majority of players would go for this if
it went to a vote, not that it will.

****