No Subject

Stern began his attack on agents before he even entered the building, while
Hunter blamed deputy commissioner Russ Granik for the breakup of the
previous round of talks Monday.

Less than two hours later, Hunter and his negotiating team were exiting the
building.

"We're leaving quickly because we're not making any progress. We need to
back away until at least Friday," Hunter said. "We're just not going to
capitulate at this moment."

Stern, Granik and their attorneys then made their exit 30 minutes later.

Stern began his remarks by pointing out that the league had offered
increased minimum salaries for veterans, including a $1 million minimum for
10-year veterans, and a gradual phase-in of the union's proposal for an
average-salary exception to replace the old $1 million exception.

He also explained that owners want to establish a maximum salary equal to
25 and 35 percent of the salary cap.

"I believe, with good reason, that agents for the high-end players have now
declared themselves, and they've decided that any deal that has a
limitation that would affect perhaps 30-40 players, even though it would
benefit the great mass of our 400 players, is a deal that doesn't deserve
to get done. That to me is what seems to have changed the atmosphere of
these talks since they ended last Wednesday," Stern said.

Stern specifically named Falk and Tellem as the forces preventing an
agreement.

"That statement is ludicrous," Tellem said. "The union is looking out for
all the players."

Falk, whose clients include Ewing, Michael Jordan, Alonzo Mourning, Juwan
Howard, Allen Iverson and Stephon Marbury, said he did not take Stern's
comments personally.

"I'm flattered they think I'm running the union, but clearly what David
Stern is trying to do is tactically divide us -- the agents from the
players, the high-salaried players from the middle class," Falk said. "This
should be a wake-up call to the union to stay unified and not let them
divide us."

Falk said the proposals on the table for a "luxury tax" on contracts signed
under the Larry Bird exception and a 10 percent "escrow tax" of 10 percent
on player salaries beginning in the 2000-01 or 2001-02 season would further
polarize salaries and penalize the middle class.

The loose framework of a system with those two types of taxes was agreed to
last week. But since then, the sides have disagreed over exactly what they
agreed to.

Stern announced one change in lockout policy, saying the league will soon
authorize teams to talk to their players.

"We had prohibited them in the past because we didn't want there to be any
misunderstanding of our proposals," he said. "At this point with the season
potentially hanging in the balance, we're going to tell teams that they
will be able to talk to players who call and ask questions. It's important
this not be viewed as either undermining the union or disparaging our
players."

Stern accused the union of planning a news conference Monday to announce
that talks had broken off even before those talks had begun. The union
responded that the news conference had been planned last Friday solely to
combat rampant speculation that a deal was close.

The league has already canceled the first month of the season, although
many agents and union officials believe Stern is bluffing when he threatens
to cancel the entire season.

Asked point blank Wednesday if he'd really do it, Stern avoided a "yes" or
"no" answer.

"It's not about whether we cancel the season," he said. "You can keep
counting (the canceled games), and at some point, based upon the
negotiating posture of the union, it will not be possible to play the
season."

As Stern concluded his comments on a sidewalk outside a Manhattan
skyscraper, several fire trucks came roaring down the street with sirens
blaring.

"Sounds like the agents are attacking," he said. "I have to go."

By CHRIS SHERIDAN, AP Basketball Writer

Copyright © 1998 Nando Media