Re: Antoine and Saul

Gene Kirkpatrick wrote:

> I don't think we know what Pitino's assessment of Antoine is.
> Certainly he can see all the things we see and more.  But he may make
> the judgment that we will keep him only within certain salary
> limitations--allowing us to trade him still.  Coach may not think
> Antoine will grow up.  He's known him longer and better than anyone
> else.  I will accept Coach's judgment, but I hope we keep the guy and
> he grows up.  If he stays and is a lout, it will diminish my interest
> considerably.
>
> Which leads me to Saul.  At 80, the esteemed Nobel laureate Saul
> Bellow is a member of the Boston community--Boston University to be
> exact.  If you have a chance to study under him, even a brief seminar,
>
> don't miss it.
>
> Gene  (waiting for college bb to start)

*****

If #8 continues to stay in great shape and keeps his mouth shut during
the season, then he will never be a lout in the eyes of all but the most
egotistical and self-absorbed b-ball coaches. AW is "maturity
challenged" but you could say far worse things about Ted Williams in his
day. What I like in AW is his furious and childish need to have everyone
say "there goes the greatest (and highest paid) power forward who ever
lived" when they see him walking down the street. He has all five skills
to make that wish come true down in Miami, playing with a real center
and a great coach.

Joe

p.s. Pretty amazing juxtaposition there on "Antoine and Saul"  :-)
Doesn't the BU English department also have the Nobelist Derek Walcott
working there? The chairman of the department must be one heck of a
recruiter. Maybe he/she can work on recruiting Vin Baker to Boston  :-)