Sun-Sentinel - Pat Reilly Profile

                                              Dave Hyde Sun-Sentinel
                                        The life of Riley has gaping hole
                                        November 04, 1998

                                        COCONUT GROVE -- The season didn't
                                        start Tuesday for Pat Riley on the Heat
                                        sideline as scheduled. It started instead
                                        for him with an electrician at home. It
                                        started with a speech in a middle-school
                                        auditorium.
                                        It started with Riley sounding lost on
                                        the day he was to meet Larry Bird's Pacers,
                                        sounding surprised that he felt so lost
                                        without coaching, sounding like he will
                                        coach forever when the NBA begins again. If
                                        it begins. If this labor fight ends and he
                                        returns to the Heat bench.
                                        "Right after I left the Lakers there
                                        was a time I thought I didn't want to do
                                        this anymore," he said. "I took a year off
                                        at NBC. I didn't like it at all (without
                                        coaching).
                                             "Now I miss it again. I actually,
                                        actually miss it. I miss going out there. I
                                        miss everything about it."
                                             He was standing in an outside hallway
                                        at Carver Middle School. Some students
                                        behind him were painting a wall in tribute
                                        of the Heat front-office team's visit
                                        Tuesday. Other students stopped and looked
                                        at Riley. He was looking ahead.
                                             "I've got a song (for when the Heat
                                        returns)," he said. "We're putting some
                                        visuals to it."
                                             The song is a popular Motown duet by
                                        Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell titled Ain't
                                        Nothing Like the Real Thing. Riley, raised
                                        under the rhythm of Motown, starts talking
                                        through some lyrics.
                                             " 'I've got your picture hanging on
                                        the wall, but it can't see or come to me
                                        when I call your name.' "
                                             Riley, making sure you know, said,
                                        "It's a song about missing someone."
                                             It is hard finding a pro basketball
                                        name worth rooting for these days. It is a
                                        time when San Antonio center David Robinson
                                        somehow likens the players' cause to the
                                        civil-rights movement and owners keep
                                        negotiating but saying little.
                                             Fans are naturally immune to it all.
                                        If baseball, hockey and football labor
                                        fights have done any good, it's to
                                        condition fans into realizing there's no
                                        reason to get upset over rich men around
                                        the bargaining table. They'll get done
                                        soon. Then we'll watch their games again.
                                             But here was Riley, caught in the
                                        middle of these two sides, reminding
                                        everyone exactly what we're missing. It's
                                        not so much basketball. It's one of the
                                        great shows in sport. We're missing as
                                        compelling a figure as games have today
                                        doing what he does best and, he now sees,
                                        misses most.
                                             "Every one of you can have anything
                                        you want in life one day if you decide to
                                        have the dedication and discipline and
                                        determination to be good at one thing,"
                                        Riley told several hundred students from
                                        the auditorium stage. "You don't have to be
                                        good at everything. Just one thing."
                                             Here was this big New York kid with
                                        the biggest ideas standing in this school
                                        and talking really about himself. Because
                                        for all his substance and style -- GQ names
                                        him "Most Stylish Man" in its November
                                        issue -- he does one thing great.
                                             He's really what he told a ninth-grade
                                        TV interviewer when she asked about his
                                        dual title of Heat president and coach.
                                             "I'm a coach," he said. "The other
                                        title is just that. A title."
                                             There are no roster moves capable
                                        during the lockout. Riley can't talk with
                                        his players, much less train them. The
                                        league can slap a $1 million fine on any
                                        coach who so much as refers to a player by
                                        name.
                                             Riley is 53, and said last year during
                                        a picture with veteran coaches Bill Fitch
                                        and Jack Ramsay that, "I'm not a lifer like
                                        these guys." Now he doesn't sound so sure.
                                        Missing this season's start has made him
                                        realize just what he's missing.
                                             "You get to a point where you get
                                        comfortable with everything," he said.
                                        "I've been doing it 17 years. I don't have
                                        any anxiety about (coaching) anymore. I
                                        don't feel anxious. I'm not cluttered."
                                             He is ready even if the season isn't.
                                             "There will be another opening night,"
                                        he said.
                                             Everyone will pay attention to that
                                        one, pay attention to Riley most of all.

                                        Copyright 1998, Sun-Sentinel Co. and South Florida
                                                         Interactive, Inc.