Re: Draft Prospects

> Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 11:35:38 EDT
> From: JThorne ST <JThorneST@aol.com>
> Subject: Draft Prospects....
>
> These are the guys that I could see the Celts drafting at the moment:
>
> I'll do this in order of how I want.......
>
> Larry Hughes 6'5" 195 2G/PG St Louis FR. Okay, why would I want a guard when
> we have Anderson and Mercer. Very simple, this kid has got awesome talent and
> is tailor made, I mean perfect for the Pitino system. With him, you have a
> couple of options, you can start him at the 2 guard, and move Mercer to the 3,
> where he will have, by and large a huge quickness advantage. Or you can have
> him be a dynamite scorer as a 6th man for a year or two and then eventually
> perhaps, he could step in and be your point guard at 6'5"or has Mercer gets
> stronger you can then move Mercer to the 3. Even more than a center in my
> opinion, we need another option to score. He's it, he may, or may not be
> there...

There's no chance in hell of him being available at ten, especially with
the interest
Don Nelson has showed in him.  The Mavs will be drafting sixth.

> Al Harrington 6'8" 222  WF St Patricks HS, Elizabeth NJ. I've watched both the
> McDonalds game, and the Nike Hoop Summit and have taped it. Harrington could
> be an ideal 3 for us, as he has pretty good build already and is not as
> fragile as his counterpart, Rashard Lewis. He can hit the deep 3, he can
> dribble, and his post game isn't bad, especially when he would be a 3. But he
> is raw, but down the line he could be a great 3, which is the position I think
> we need the most, because your more likely to get a star quality 3 than a star
> center. He also is a great kid and has a good head on his shoulders. Pretty
> good chances he'll be there.

Yes he probably will be there at ten, and at 6-6, he's essentially a
shorter version of
Antoine Walker.  But boy, if you ever listen to Chris Wallace, he seems
to prefer
Rashard Lewis in a big way.  Wallace's spiel is that, Lewis is a bigger
and a better
athlete than Harrington.

> Dirk Nowitzski 6'11" 225 WF/PF Germany. He too played in the hoop summit, and
> was the clear star scoring 33 points and grabbing 13 rebounds. He can drive to
> the hoop, he can rebound, and he can shoot. A lot of people are real high on
> him, and I would be too if we played the typical NBA way. I don't know if he's
> quick enough for the pressing system, but he can definitely be a good
> offensive player, just not sure on his athleticism. One potential plus/minus
> is that he could continue to play in Europe, which if did that for just
> another year would benefit, but he could become an icon there and would be a
> headache to get him over here. Too early to tell if he'll be there or not.

Nowitzki, a Tom Chamber's clone is expected to be drafted in the 5 - 8
range.

> Robert Traylor 6'8" 290 PF JR Michigan.  Huge in the paint area and would
> provide a low post scoring presence. Has range about to 15 feet and has great
> leadership qualities, and extremely good feet and movement. In that regard, he
> is much like Shaquille O'Neal except 3 inches shorter and a little better foul
> shooter. Impossible to move, but he probably could afford to lost at least 15
> pounds and he would be even better. Pretty good chance he'll be there.

Tractor could be there, because he's shrunk down in size from 6-8 to
6-6.

> Lamar Odom 6'9" 225 WF FR Rhode Island. He didn't play, this his freshman year
> because of grade problems, but he is much like Al Harrington, except he is an
> inch or maybe two bigger. He can handle the ball, he can score outside and
> inside and he is pretty unselfish. Actually the player he compares to most in
> ability in my opinion is Antoine Walker. He is immature, but Rick Pitino
> heavily recruited him to play at UK last season so there's interest there. A
> very good probability he'll will be there at 10.

Lamar is growing on me as a Penny Hardaway, "New Wave" type of backourt
player.
Lamar's a multidimensional 6-9, with an all-around skill-level that
should perk up
Il Duce's interest.  He may very well be the best player available at
ten.

> Keon Clark 6'11" 230 PF/C UNLV SR. Very athletic, and can jump out of the gym,
> both for rebounds and alley oops. Decent post game, and is sort of a cross
> between Antonio McDyess and Kevin Garnett. Could definitely play some center
> in the Pitino system, but the best move with him would probably be to stick
> him at the power forward slot and move Antoine to the 3. However, he is very
> immature and his head seems to be absent at times, so there's a bit of a
> gamble there, although I do not think he has had substance abuse problems. He
> should be there at 10.

Right now, Keon's a middle class version of Vin Baker.  That may be a
good thing,
or that may be a bad thing.

> Nazr Mohammed 6'11" 240 C JR Kentucky. A low post player who Pitino discovered
> in Chicago in HS when he was severely overweight but has worked very hard to
> make himself a good player. Has gotten better since he went to Lexington and
> has a good jump hook with both hands. His range is probably about 10-12 feet.
> Good shot blocker and a good body. Pretty good quickness and is familar with
> the Pitino system. Will probably go around where the Celtics pick but might be
> a reach because he's a true center; and after Michael Oliwakandi of Pacific is
> the best center in the draft.

Nazr is high up on Monter's draft list; somewhere around eight last time
I checked.
But he's raw, especially as an offensive presence.

> I don't see them taking anyone else but who I mentioned unless someone slips
> like Vince Carter. Rashard Lewis is another possibility, but I just don't see
> it.

Here's a few other names to keep an eye on: Jason Williams, Pat Garrity,
and 7-2
Slovenian center Radoslav Nesterovic.
Ray
wayray@ix.netcom.com