Re: FA money and draft

>At 14:15 -0400 5/18/98, gandahlf@capecod.net wrote:
>>Dumping Travis is NOT the answer!! Unless we trade him for a large
body
>>that can rebound and play defense. Travis is a pf in a centers body,
the
>>major problem is we have to play him at center when he should be
playing
>>the 4.
>>

>I didn't say it IS the answer - not because I like him, but because
this
>whole Travis affair would seem even more stupid than it is.  As for his
>real position, I doubt he can REALLY play any position (as opposed to
>taking advantage of opportunities because of Shaq's dominance) - at
least
>not until he acquires some guts in addition to his so-so talent.

> ETC....

In the short while I've been a member of this list I've seen an awful
lot of
Travis Bashing, and I have to admit that a lot of it is deserved,
however
people seem to have forgotton a number of important facts.

1) A lot of the games in which he put up good numbers for the Lakers,
Shaq
was injured and Travis was basically playing a power forward to Elden
C's
center.

2) At the start of the year he did seem to show some hints of the
potential
for which he was signed (too bad for us it didn't continue).

3) Despite his height, PF does seem to suit him a lot better, so until
he
bulks up (if ever), it is pointless complaining that he is a hopeless
center,
because he isn't a center, no matter how much we want him to be.

4) Jerry West also felt Travis was worth signing and developing, and
expressed dissapointment at losing him the big dollars, but perhaps
Jerry
West isn't too good at judging talent either (that's sarcasm for those
who
didn't pick it).

5) When Luc Longley was at the T-Wolves, how many people would have
picked
such a clumsy and unagressive player to be the starting center for the
bulls
and to have people seriously suggesting that the Celtics try to aquire
him
(btw: I hope we do NOT aquire him).

OK, I'm dissapointed with Travis, I feel we have paid too much for him,
but
he is young, he is playing within a system that is considered hard to
learn,
he has been expected to play a position that doesn't suit him well and
he is
obviously struggling with confidence problems (maybe he reads this
list).

So in short, it is way early to be hanging it on Travis (who we picked
up as
a project) for not being who we needed this year, and it is way early to
be
hanging it on Pitino for perceived errors in his tallent evaluation.

        - DN