Re: "Blood Sucking" Agents

This sure is a complex issue and, depending on your perspective, you could
really look at it in completely opposite ways.

If one were to argue that Harrington and Harrington alone, an 18 year old
who is adult enough to make decisions, made this decision, then there is no
blame to place. He chose to get a job instead of going to college. Happens
every day.

If one were to argue that the agent-vultures tied this kid to a chair and
shone a bright light in his eyes until he relented and decided that he
should get a job instead of going to college, then blame the agents.

If one were to argue that the NBA is luring high school kids with talent
into the NBA by actually selecting those among those with talent, then
blame the NBA by all means.

If one were to argue that his parents should play a role in this decision,
then blame the parents.

The truth is that all four of the above weighed into this decision in one
manner or another. Fleisher IS looking out for his self-interest. The NBA
is looking out for its self-interest. Harrington and his parents are
presumably looking out for his best interest. Don't believe for one minute
that anybody except the player and his parents are looking out for this
kid. But do they have all of the information to make this decision? We
can't know that. What we do know is WHERE it's coming from and perhaps that
is the note of sorrow that is felt in the article. I think that the article
was an attempt at feeling sorry for the rich, uneducated kid. There's no
denying that is what he will be. What's wrong with being disapointed that
another promising scholar with athletic skills went for the money?

It's a tough world out there and many people believe that money can solve
all problems. He may get the money, but at 34 he will be an NBA 16-year
veteran who is uneducated and retired. Then what?

One of the most impressive things that I ever saw in my life was Reggie
Lewis on campus taking classes at Northeastern AFTER he was a Celtic.
That's a class act. Pun intended.

Theresa

What's wrong with Fleisher trying to win that role?  He's just pursuing his
own self interest.